How do I tell her...?

I am currently watch a 5 year boy in my home and have been for about a month with my 7 month old son. I feed the boy breakfast (when he comes to my home in the mornings) a snack, lunch and then 2 more snacks. I am only getting paid 75 a week and now that school has started for him I drive to pick him up 15 min one way. Well I got a call for an interview at a daycare in my hometown and they are gonna pay me $8.90 an hour and keep my 7 month old in the center...question is how do i tell the momma of the 5 year old boy that I can't watch her son anymore with out totally making her upset. I feel bad that its an all of a sudden thing, but I have to do whats best for my family and $75 a week is not doing anything for us after buying the food for the child and putting gas in my car. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you tell her exactly what you just said. you say hey look i know its all of a sudden and i will try and help you out for a little while longer if i can but i got a job offer that i can not turn down. im sure she will be upset but totally understand. i mean you have to do whats right for you and your family. yeah its nice that you helped her out but you have an obligations to yourself and to your family first. and if she cant understand that then obviously shes not matture enough.. maybe you could possibly elp her to find anouther facility or person to whatch her kid. it sounds like to me shes asking alot alot of you and your family. no normaly baby sitter i know goes and picks the kid up. yeah feeding him and giving him snack yeah i can understand that..anyways.yeah just try and be nice about the best you can.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree, Just sit down with her and calmly explain your situaltion to her and no matter how upset she gets, you keep your cool. Tell her you will assist her, if she would like, in finding someone else to watch her son, but this is what is best for your family. You have to do what's best for you and yours, just like she has to do what's best for her family. Any sensible person would understand. You have done a lot for her so far and she should appreciate it, not expect it and understand that it wasn't something that was permenant. Especially with all you were doing for so little and in this economy!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• is she a friend? If not then this is a busyness relation and therefor feelings shouldn't be the first matter. No need to be rude, but at the same time, I bet she went also for the best deal.
    Straight and formal would be my approch ... but than again, I am German LOL
    want2have4

Answer by want2have4 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Consider asking the center if they can do anything to help. maybe offer them to her with a week free? My center gives you a free week if you recommend someone, so if they do something like that, offer her the week instead as incentive to get her to come and help with the tension.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• wow 75 a week wish i could find someone like u i pay 52 a day.......just be straight up with her but give her at least a week to find someone else
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009