• In the Spotlight:

Have you ever considered using an au pair for child care?

Its not an option everyone knows about so I just wanted to ask... (I am a Local Childcare Coordinator for Cultural Care Au Pair. Most people don't seem to know that this is a flexible and affordable option.)

LatteCupNo6

Asked by LatteCupNo6 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• if I HAD to go back to work I would def. hire a nanny or an au pair.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• can you say
    $$$$$$$$$$
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, I raise my own children thank you very much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, my son needs to be with other kids so it isn't an option. I used to be a nanny and it is great if you can afford it but I always felt that the first two families I worked for didn't spend enough time with their children.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yep. I sure did. If we had an extra room, we would have one. Around here they are about $350 a month plus room & board... I would love it! It's better than any daycare or teen sitter! And in the end much cheaper! Daycare was gonna cost us $40 a day! But we don't have an extra room for her, so that won't work! It would be nice though! I only work about 3 hours a day now, and I would love to up that to 8 or 10... But with the kids I can't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I used to be a nanny, and personally I think that au pairs are just one more way of out sourcing jobs to foreigners that could be jobs for Americans who need them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• For clarification because this is serious: The au pair program is an expanded version of the foreign exchange student program. The au pair agencies (who monitor the program) used to be non-profit. This program is governed by the State Dept w/ the spirit of promoting cultural exchange between countries & learning about one another. There are many Americans who also go to another country to be an au pair. (I was in fact an American au pair who went to the Netherlands & learned Dutch. It was one of the highlights of my life.) An au pair is not a nanny. A nanny is usually trained to advise a family in the raising of their children (i.e. Nanny 911). An au pair is between 18-26 & is here for a 2 year program to: 1-help families w/ childcare, 2-go to school, 3-learn English & 4-See the USA. The au pair goes back home with a wider range of career possibilities and an experience of a lifetime!
    LatteCupNo6

Answer by LatteCupNo6 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009