Can I get maternity leave if I'm going to college?

Okay, I'm 32 weeks pregnant. I'm collecting unemployment and talking with a Career Manager on the 28th of August about attending college classes. Since Michigan has a No Worker Left Behind Program. Well, If I start classes in September, then 1 mth later, I give birth, and I HAVE to have 2 weeks to recouperate/ breastfeed my baby. Would I be entitled to maternity leave (unpaid of course)? The course I'm looking to go for takes about3 or 4 mths to complete. So the sooner I start, the better. But my family & I were hoping to move into a new place by March. This wouldn't leave me much time to graduate, get a job, AND move. Can anyone help me? Can I get maternity leave if I'm going to college? Or does it depend on the college?

BigBellyMom

Asked by BigBellyMom at 2:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• That's really something you would have to talk to the college about, but my guess would be no, that they don't HAVE to accomodate you. They may work with you, but some classes have a mandatory attendance policy and I'm not sure how you would get around that. And how far behind would you get while you were out - would you not miss too much of the material to be able to keep up?

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It isn't covered by law in the same way that maternity leave from employment is. I had my DD in my last semester of college. I spoke to the professors for my classes for that semester prior to enrolling in their classes to make sure they would be willing to work with me. I also got help from the Academic Support Services and the Non-Traditional Students office (serving older students and students with families). Academic Support Services had someone take notes for me in the classes I missed and would have had someone get the assignments and/or provided a tutor for the time that I was out. Look into similar services at your campus and see what assistance they can give you.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Also speak with your professors about getting the assignments for the period around your due date and completing them ahead of time. I got almost all my papers and projects done way ahead of time so I didn't have to worry about getting behind while I was focusing on resting and healing and bonding with my baby. I was back in class with baby and a pillow for those hard, hard chairs in tow a little over a week after I gave birth. It is not easy but it is doable.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a SAHM to my 2 year old son and 5 month old daughter. I recently started working from home to make some extra money and I’m very happy with my decision!!! I work with a great team of Moms; we are with Internet CEO Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• are you asking if you can take a break in the middle of the semester and call it maternity leave?! if so then NOPE. unless they grant you a special case situation. But thats highly unlikely....if i were you id just try to go online. i had to, its a little harder but itll work if you try hard. But school is one of those things that keeps going with or without you!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no there is no such thing....and thinking you will be back up and running in 2 weeks is a fantasy. I would have your baby and wait at least 3 months to see how your life has changed before making any major plans. I do commend you for wanting to go to college and wish you all the best. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• First off -- no the school doesn't have to accommodate you, but it is possible. With both of my children I was in college when I had them. As soon as I knew what professors I was going to have, I visited with each of them to make the prior arrangements for giving birth. One professor went as far as to tell me she didn't expect to hear or see me (unless I was bringing my son for her to see) for 3 weeks. My other professors just worked with me as far as the work was concerned. Second off -- 2 weeks is just fine for recovery. Don't listen to the Anonymous poster above me, you can do it and you don't need to have 3 months to recover from having a kid. When I had my daughter -- I gave birth on a Thursday and was back in class Monday. It all depends on your determination.

GoodThingsLast

Answer by GoodThingsLast at 5:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009