How to introduce faith to a 2 year old without being able to find the right church environment.

Asked by 1funkymomma at 11:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• you pray at meals and bedtime and tell them bible stories and model y0ur faith for them.

Answer by Lyndall at 11:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Just like every other topic, there are wonderful books, DVDs and other materials to introduce faith in an interesting and fun way. When the child is old enough, Vacation Bible School (or the equivalent from another faith) is so much fun and instructive. You need to talk about it and have reminders around your home like you book of faith and maybe some knick knack in home that remind you of your faith. Also, music at night while the child is sleeping or during the day to have fun will give your child a memory of what you are teaching through words to a song. If you are Christian, Veggie tales is awesome but one of my favs is Miss Pattycake!

Answer by manna1qd at 11:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Prayer, bible stories, books, movies.

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You don't "need" church. there is nothing a church does that you can't do yourself. The only thing a church offers is a social setting for people of the same faith. If you want to socialize the child join a play group or a mom's day out program. True faith is modeled by the parents and taught by the parents.

• I made copies of different stories about Jesus off of the internet. My kids will color them as I read the story. I really did not know how well my 2 year old comprehended or understood who Jesus was. It has been months since we sat down and had a lesson on this. Today He saw one of the pix he had colored and said "that is Jesus". I said "oh really, and who is he?" My little one smiled and said "He is my friend." and my 5 year old added "He is an angel who watches over me". They do understand and they do know him. One of my favorite passages is Matthew 19:14 "Jesus said, Let the children come to me and do not stop them, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I don't think you can introduce "faith" to a 2yr old, their brains are not able to grasp that yet.
    I say you let it be and let the kid decide if they want to have faith when they are older,
    Religion is not needed to be a happy, well rounded, honest individual

Answer by Chandytown at 6:59 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I agree w/ the other person who answered that Faith is modeled, not taught or "introduced".
    I got my Faith from my mother, who always taught me that G-d was there, and that I could pray or just talk. She would always say that I could give my problems to G-d, and when I was a young child, instilled integrity in me. At 2, I don't think a child's brain could understand such an obscure concept, but they can see how you live your life, which will help them as their brain develops.
    I never went to church with my mother, which has never made a difference when it comes to my very strong faith in G-d. Show your child, and they will learn by example.

• Read stories to them about God. Start talking to them about God and what you know. Go outside and show them the creations God has made. Teach them of his blessings. Read your bible and pray to God for guidance. HAve your child give thanks at meals or at least saying blessing yourself.

Answer by rhanford at 9:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009