Neverending flea battle

We have 2 dogs and a cat. Our cat stays inside and the dogs spend 85% of the time inside also. We have hardwood floors - no carpets. No matter what we do the dogs bring fleas in and give them to the cat - we're constantly buying all the expesive meds for all 3 pets and it's a neverending cycle! Nothing works!! I'm extra sensitive to this because I just had a baby and I have now seen 3 fleas on her in the 12 weeks since she's been born. What more can I do?? We do flea baths, frontline (or whatever one of those expensive ones are on sale, don't have carpets, have leather couches and dont let the dogs in any bedrooms....help!!!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pets

• One summer we had a flea problem. We had gotten a cat who would sneak out anytime the door opened & she brought fleas into the house. Our dog got them too. I tried everything & the house became infested. We finally had to call a professional. He came into the house & sprayed as well as sprayed outside of our house. He had to return once & redo a small area, but after that, we did not have a problem. We then continued by getting Frontline Plus to prevent reinfestation. It was the costliest option, but it was the only one that worked. I now wish we would have just called the professional from the beginning. You might have to have someone come & spray every year, but it could prevent a problem from occuring. We had to leave the house for a few hours during the spraying. Good luck; I feel for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Make sure you aren't bathing them 3 days before or after applying the frontline.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You have to treat your house as well as your animals. Fleas can live and breed in the cracks in your wood floors. Sprinkle Borax (in the laundry aisle at the supermarket) into the cracks in your wood floors and let sit overnight. Vacuum in the morning. Pull out all your furniture and do this underneath your furniture too. You can treat your furniture with Borax, too, same procedure, apply liberally, let sit overnight, vacuum off. Repeat every couple of days through flea season. If you have pets that go in and out at all, they will bring in fresh fleas until first frost.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You not only have to treat you animals and house, but you also have to treat your lawn or you will continue to have a flea problem if it is that bad. I don't know if any professionals will come out and give you a free eval. on your lawn in your area, but they did for my sis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Fleas - I can help with SAFE suggestions for you home and new baby: The spot MONTHLY flea products are Harsh and poison / and many times they don't even work. Fleas seem to get immune to some of the products on the market. 1. Please get some D.E. powder - this is all natural / you need the Food grade - Human grade D.E. - see here on how to order it and usages.

VERY helpful.. ( diatomaceous earth powder and Nuvet dog and cat supplements:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009