My dr stripped my membrains yesterday...?

today I have some bright red blood. not much just when I wipe. Is this normal?
Should I call my dr?

TravisJohnsmama

Asked by TravisJohnsmama at 2:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• totally normal.
    and good luck. I was SO excited when they did mine that I went home and packed for the hospital.

Then I waited another WEEK to go back and have it done again!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Totally normal. Your cervix is a mucus membrane, and your doc irritated it by manipulating it. It is normal to have spotting afterwards. If you start to have more bleeding than just spotting, call your provider.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's "normal"...and I use the term loosely. Furthermore, it won't work UNLESS you are on the verge of going into labor on your own. Many women can tell you that all it did was cause pain, bleeding, introduced a risk of infection, and caused ineffective contractions that did nothing.

Don't let the doctor do it again. NO ONE needs to strip your membranes or break your water to "help you" or "speed things along". You don't need help. Labor will start on its own. Just be patient. You will have a much better chance of things going smoothly if you don't allow these routine induction methods that are known to do more harm than good.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Don't let the doctor do it again. NO ONE needs to strip your membranes or break your water to "help you" or "speed things along". You don't need help. Labor will start on its own. Just be patient. You will have a much better chance of things going smoothly if you don't allow these routine induction methods that are known to do more harm than good.

And what am I supposed to do? go deliver ALONE because I will have NOT A SINGLE SOUL to watch our 3 y/o??
    yes Iknow I should let her come when she is ready but if I dont do something now I will doing it ALL ALONE>>!!!
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 4:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i agree wtih you.. theres nothing wrong with amileegirls views on how labor and delivery should go but she should have made that more of a suggestion rather than telling you what to do. it does work for a lot of women because the point of having them stripped is it makes your contractions stronger and will help speed things up, hence why when they break you water if its not all cleared away you still wont feel any pain! you do what you need to do girl and i hope she comes soon!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 4:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Honestly do what you want.
    Just be prepared if it doesn't work.
    I didn't feel like deleting my whole post to change "don't" to "i suggest". I was mainly just horrified that you weren't told what to expect -- especially the bleeding.

You won't deliver alone. You'd do the same thing you'd do if you went into labor at some other time or had an accident you weren't prepared for. You have no friends or family who you could call?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• no I have NO ONE NOT A SINGLE SOUL to help..
    i have NOT A PERSON to help... cant you understand that.. I said that in my answer and yet you still ask. the only person that could watch him is my husband.. my parents are COMPLEATLY UNRELIABLE!! and my inlaws live in Ohio and Im in Colorado. they are here till sat, after that I HAVE NO ONE!!!
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 10:23 AM on Aug. 19, 2009