My daughter is becoming a picky eater.... and I am frustrated

She's 3... and I guess it's to be expected. However, my son never went through this phase so I am not quite sure what to do. When we're out and about - whether it's at a BBQ or shopping or even doing something kid friendly, when it's time to eat she doesn't 'like' what she is given. Her latest is meat - she does not want to eat meat with her dinner. Just rice or she'll pick at her food. We've always eaten meat so it's not new for her.

PassionDiva_NY

Asked by PassionDiva_NY at 2:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we tell ours to eat or go to your room and be hungry. She could be seeing others doing this and getting away with or who knows.. ours is picky but i has opened him up by making him eat what he does not like... even if he does cry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We don't battle over foods, this runs the risk of eating disorders. We use the 3 bite rule: you must try 3 bites of everything on your plate; if you don’t like it (we all have foods that we don’t like), then you may prepare yourself toast with peanut butter and honey with and apple.

If your child is becoming vegetarian, send me a message offlist; I have tons of great resources for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sit down and talk to your girl about why she is picking at her food. I know whereof I speak; I have a 6 year old who is EXTREMELY picky--she is constantly underweight for her age, and just about reduced to eating nothing but cheese quesadillas. Well, I found out by the simple expedient of really talking to her that she is afraid that new foods will make her sick. I assured that I would never feed her something that would make her sick, and pointed out that her sister, father, and I don't get sick from the food we eat; while this seems obvious, it was like the sun shining in to her.

We struck the deal that if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to finish it, but she DOES have to at least try a bite. While not made her an open-minded eater, it has at least expanded her diet some and provided hope for the future.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 3:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009