6 weeks baby in daycare?

I am pregnant and I know they baby has to at least be 6 weeks old and have her shots before being able to be in a daycare. This is my first and we have a daycare ready... i just don't want to put her in there after only a month and a few weeks old. I wish i could afford to staty home a little longer with her. How do/did others deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know this sounds absolutely horrible, but I hated staying home after I had my daughter. So when I went back to work at 6 weeks, I just went back part time. My honey and I worked our schedules around each other until my daughter was 3 months old, so she didn't have to go to DC until then. But the first day of DC was one of the worst days of my entire life, I came home and called my mom and told her I was going to quit my job. :-( It will be tough, but if momma has to work, momma has to work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I guess we got lucky. My daughter stays with family right now, because we cannot afford daycare.
    Even so, I still hate that I don't get to see my lil one all day everyday.

It does get a little easier, but I will tell you she is 4 months old now, and there are still mornings I cry all the way to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I started mine at 8 weeks. I went back to work part time for 2 weeks and since the day care doesn't offer part time rates, I had my step mom and cousin take turns watching my daughter. I didn't have too many problems. I was sad the first week but also enjoyed being back at work. I was honestly bored at home since little babies just sleep and poop all day! :) I wish I could take my maternity leave now that she's 2. It's be much more fun!

As long as you trust your day care, just try to focus on work and before you know it, you'll be home again. And if you can save up and your boss will let you, I do recommend doing part time for a few weeks to help wean you back into work and away from your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• if you have family members that live close by let them watch the baby while your at work cause if you put your baby in day care your baby is always going to get sick. my step son gets sick alot since he has been in day care
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My oldest started daycare when he was 8 weeks old. It was harder on me than it was on my baby. I went back to work on a reduced schedule at first to give everyone time to adjust, and because working full time on no sleep is just too much! He didn't seem to notice or care much one way or the other that he was in daycare, but it was very very hard for me to leave him there.

With my younger kids, DH took a huge paycut to work at a second shift job so we could work opposite hours and avoid the stress and expense of daycare. It was rough on our marriage because we had about an hour of awake time together on the weekdays. But it was a temporary situation, and worth it financially and emotionally.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I went back to work when my daughter was 12 weeks old. I put her in a home daycare and stopped by twice to check things out before I left her there. I also went on the states website and read the inspection reports. The first day I left her i told the lady I was working the whole day but showed up 4 hours ealy to get my baby so that i could make sure everything was ok when they werent expecting me. It was a lot harder on me than on my daughter. She loved going to daycare.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We had a 3 day a week nanny; our daughter spent one a day week with my mom and one day a week with my sister.

You may have luck with a nanny share. Are you in any local networking groups? You can also try www.sittercity.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I honestly can not imagine leaving my baby that young. I am so grateful to be in Canada where we get a year of mat leave. That's just so young, and I don't know how people continue to breastfeed successfully when they are away from their baby so soon. Yet another reason I'm glad to be Canadian.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I guess we are lucky. both my sister and I are in college and both have babies. so, since neither one of us can afford DC, I am watching the babies while she is in class and vice versa.

however, good luck. I know it will be hard, but as long as you trust the daycare provider, it shouldnt be too bad.
    LSteckowski

Answer by LSteckowski at 4:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am not sure where you live. There is something called the FLMA - Family Leave Medical Act that you can take 12 weeks of leave to care for a new baby or sick family member. But you need to have been employed for a certain number of hours for the year to get it. It may buy you a couple of more weeks at home with your baby.
    ariesfool

Answer by ariesfool at 11:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009