I need help with my 7 year old step son

my step son loves to argue with me and his dad and if he doesnt get what he wants he has a tantrum

MarissaDavis29

Asked by MarissaDavis29 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Why try to parent this kid? "
    Seriously? Because she's probably the one that is home with him while his dad is at work. She's not just a babysitter who lets him do whatever he wants until dad gets home.
    You guys need to set up some House Rules. Write them down and post them somewhere. Then also come up with appropriate agreed upon punishments for not following the house rules. Dad needs to tell him that even when he's not home, son needs to follow the rules and that if he doesn't , he can expect to be punished BY YOU (within the guidelines of the agreed upon punishments). Then dad can have a talk with him when he gets home. But you can't make dad do all of the punishing while you sit back and "relax". The kid will do more and more to get your attention in a negative way if he thinks that you can't punish him. It's your house too, which is why there need to be "House Rules".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 7? Ground his butt! Take away the toys/game/TV, whatever it is that he likes. If he can throw a tantrum when he doesn't get his way, you should throw a tantrum when you don't get your way - that is if your way is him not throwing tatrums at age 7!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Finally i have someone to relate to. My step-son who is 6... loves to talk back to me. I can not stand it... and I have been nice and told his dad that that needs to be worked on. We tell him to put his toys up and its family time or go outside and play. (why do kids not play outside anymore) I know i can only do so much being the step mom and its even more aggravating. feels like its driving me away from him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• get dad to be on the same page
    i have step children
    they know what i say will be backed up by dad 100%
    so when i say jump
    they hear dads voice

they still are naughty, but they know dad and i are together on punishments

us against them...lol
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Start saving for law school...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Why try to parent this kid? He has two parents and you are not one of them. Let dad do this. Look, be his friend, play with him, have fun with him. Let him know you think he is a cool kid. It really does take two to argue. Don't want to have a battle, don't join in. It doesn't mean letting him have his way. It means dad needs to handle the tantrums so you are not always seen as evil step mom. You are in charge of safety when it comes to him, that's it. Dad sets rules, dad gives consequences, and you just have to relax and enjoy him. When he is not making good choices let his father handle that. When it comes to your children that is different because you are their mother. Dad just can enforce the same rules for your children as he does for his child. Build bridges with this child and not road blocks. Also family therapy never hurt anything. Blended families are hard so professional help is always a plus.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009