Is it true that the FDA mandates for junk food to have some kind of nutritional value?

My dh says that some cereals high in sugar with no nutritional value whatsoever are "fortified" with vitamins so it can be on the market.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope not. I eat junk food for that guilty pleasure. If it has vitamins, there will be no guilt. Bummer!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, junk food is not mandated to have some nutritional value. All foods ARE required to list percentages of the RDA of nutrients, so you'll see that on a candy bar. And most everythyng has SOMETHING to offer....but that doesn't make it nutritious!

The fortification of cereals is to get us to feel less guilty for buying it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think so...I wish...my SIL insists on buying "crap" drinks for at my mother's house...I picked up a blue huggie jug today and found the only things listed on that little chart were salt and sugar...yuck! Even my kids kids said gross...I'm not one of those all organic mommies but ewww.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 2:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• ha! i'd like to see that be enforced. ...I highly doubt it's true but even if it were true the FDA would never pull through.
    Do you know how much stuff they are SUPPOSED to regulate ...but dont? It's ridiculous.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009