why haven't I felt them?

I'm nine months pregnant with my first and everyone is saying that should of felt the braxton hick contraction but I haven't felt anything....I don't even know what I'm looking for...people say its going to be cramping, but I haven't even felt that. Is it normal for me not to feel braxton hick contractions and I'm nine months pregnant?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• For me it felt like my tummy was getting really tight and hard. If you've been seeing your doctor all along and they haven't mentioned anything abnormal about your pregnancy I'm sure you're just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• when was pregnan with my son.....i didnt feel them either.....i don think its a big deal if you feel them or not.....but if your worried talkto your doc
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well the only thing that is wrong with this pregnancy is that my baby is breech...would I feel them if my baby is breech?
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• for me i dont really feel them it's just a tighting of my stomach and it's actually really hard for me to tell if im really having them or not and im 33wks so you could be having them and just not even know or you might not be having them at all because some women never have them
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I never had Braxton Hicks contractions and my baby was a healthy 8lbs 6oz. The only thing that would be a concern is if you don't feel the baby moving. Otherwise, I'd say it's perfectly normal not to feel the contractions.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• oh I feel her moving.....she never stops...but its much slower now that she's bigger
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Braxton hicks contraction occur and usually most people don't even notice them. They are considered "practice" contractions for your uterus. They actually start toward the begining of your third trimester and are so soft at that point that you might only feel them if you are actually resting and concentrating on your tummy and baby. They tend to occur when you are over exerting yourself and need to rest as a way for your body to tell you to sit down a take a breather. If you do feel a tightening in your abdomin occasionally than this is probably what you are experiancing, if you sit down and rest it usually goes away.
    That being said if you are getting the proper amount of excercise, rest and proper nutrition than you may only experiance them after you let down when your body is preparing actively for labor. Many women don't ever experiance them at all. I was one of them. It's perfectly ok not to feel them. You dont have to.
    KittyCraig

Answer by KittyCraig at 3:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I have them all the time and the only way I feel them is if I have my hands on my tummy or if I am laying on my back, the BH makes it really uncomfortable. and I was told by my doc that they start around week 6 but are not noticeable until your uterus gets big enough. some women never notice them at all. try laying still with your hands on your tummy for a little while. you might notice your belly getting hard and tight with the contractions. then again you might not. every woman is different.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Breech wouldn't affect BH contractions. Some women just don't feel them! That's normal! So is having painful ones. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. =)
    Generally, it's tightness, maybe some cramping, and usually after exercise or if you're dehydrated. Don't stress that you're not feeling them, it doesn't mean anything about when you'll go into labor, how long it will take, how painful it will be, etc.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2009