he's such a picky eater!

i've been reading everyone's questions on eating lately and man, a lot of your children eat soo well! i can't get my son to try anything! i guess it's mostly my fault because i don't eat very healthy. anyway, my son will eat really any kind of meat, breads/waffles/pancakes, fruits, yogurt, and crackers. everyone keeps saying you need to keep trying and make him at least take a bite of other things but he will do ANYTHING to get out of trying new things. i've even tried not giving him anything until he tries new things but he'd rather starve! what am i supposed to do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to keep offering a variety of healthy foods and everyone else in the house needs to eat a variety of healthy foods. Otherwise in four years you will be the one posting: my child only eats nuggets and mac & cheese, what do I do?

I promise that your child won't starve when healthy choices are available. Some suggestions are: hummus with a mashed hardboiled egg; chunks of avocado and tofu; chopped up table food; whole grain pasta, steamed vegetables

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Dont force him to try anything new. Bad idea. Childrens eating habits change as they get older. Just put alittle bit of something new on his plate and let him go. If he doesn't try it the first time no big deal just keep trying. My son would only ate two kinds of veggies and i started buying mixed veggies and two or three times a week i would put the mixed veggies on his plate and about a week later he tried them and now he eats almost every kind of veggie. And if the food your trying to give him can sit out for a while just leave it on a plate somewhere he can reach it and if he gets hungry enough he will try it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009