How does montessori school work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in

• its method of education is characterised by emphasising self-directed activity, on the part of the child, and clinical observation, on the part of the teacher (often called a director, directress, guide) — to stress the importance of adapting the child’s learning environment to his or her development level, and the role of physical activity in the child’s absorbing abstract concepts and learning practical skills. Auto-didactic (self-correcting) equipment is used for introducing and learning concepts, and reading is taught via phonics and whole language, the comparative benefits of which are presently being recognised

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 8:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=montessori+youtube&docid=1043626525409&FORM=VIRE7#

here is a video that may help explain it. It helped me! My daughter just started and although I understand the basic ideas I still am unclear on some aspects! We are testing it to se if we like it:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I've been reading a lot about it for when my kids are in school. In Montessori schools, they teach by having fun and by doing day to day things. For example, they might count out cupcakes to learn about numbers before snack time. These schools are supposed to help kids to reach their full potential by steering them away from things they can't understand yet and encouraging them to keep going with things the teacher feels they can master. They work on a couple of subjects for as long as the individual needs to, then move on. They are supposed to watch the child and help him or her the way that they learn the best (with hands-on techniques, by singing about it, through doing projects, etc.) Written reports of what children are working on and what they excel at are written every so often and sent to the parents.

The Montessori school I like is pretty expensive but it seems like it's probably worth it to me.
    iamhome

Answer by iamhome at 4:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009