Is 9 too young to use a relaxer on hair?

I ahve a 9 year old daughter who as serious curly hair. She is of mixed heritage. She would like straighter hair. I was wondering if 9 is too young to use a relaxer on her hair. If the answer is yes do you have any suggestions on what I can do to make it less curly. Keep in mind I've already used a flat iron , and every other contraption around to try to help

Jani2594

Asked by Jani2594 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Please do not put such harsh chemicals on your daughters hair! They burn the scalp if not done properly and even if they are done properly then do quite a bit of damage to the cuticle and the hair shaft itself. When I was in cosmetology school I refused to chemically straighten any girls hair who wa sunder the age of 16.Its just not worth it. Instead of the perm I would use a pressing comb. It will give her hair a smooth texture with minimal damage. When she bathes have her wear a shower cap and only wash every 3-5 days. Teach her to wrap her hair around her head and put a scarf or bandana over it every night before bed. Oh and remember it is not the teeth of the comb that starighten the hair it is the back of the pressing comb.....I think thats all the adive I have! Good luck!!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 10:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't do it...
    I have extremly curly hair...it looks like I have mixed hair...and I wish I would never of relaxed my hair! it was the biggest mistake i made, now I am spending even more money trying to get it back to the way it was. I think you should wait way long, I did my hair at 15 and I regret it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• they have this gel..its brown and u can buy it at a beauty supply. just put that in her hair and put it in a ponytail, or two puff balls (two pigtails) on her.theres so much u can do with really curlly hairr
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My daughters are 1/2 black and 1/2 white. I relaxed there hair when they were young. That's all I did though. I did not use a blow dryer or flat iron in there hair. The only thing I would do is straiten it and braid it up. You can as long as you do not do anything else.

Answer by louise2 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• or you can just use a hairstr8ner....thats good too
    just put a heat protecter in her hair b4 you do it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes. First of all I'm a mother of a bi-racial child with curly hair but it's like caucasian hair not your typical bi-racial hair. Think Mariah Carey if you will; soft long curls. I think I lucked out and I'm not sure how your child is racially mixed but mine is Asian/black.

My oldest daughter is not bi-racial and has thick extremly long hair and is begging for a relaxer and I've been telling her she has to wait til she is done going thru puberty which the average age is 15/16. When going thru puberty your whole body undergoes change and that includes your hair. You could change the texture or curl pattern of her hair and rarely is it for the better. If it changes for the worse both you and she will long for the days of her old curls.

My bi-racial DD is only 4 so she doesn't mind her curls - I'm sure as she gets older she'll too grow tired of her curls not but when you're a teen don't you always yearn for...
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Go to a beauty supply store, tell them that you want something mild to relax some of the curl. If i were you i wouldnt relax her hair. I did mine as a teenager (i have mixed hair too)...and it did nothing but cause damage and make my hair feel dry. It will likely cause her hair to break off, and it just wont be worth it. If i were you, id wash her hair buy some cream that relaxes the curl then blow it out and flat iron it (only in the winter, in the summer it isnt worth it if you live in humidity)..That way she can have the look she wants without alll the permanent damage!!! Good luck on whatever you decide.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• what you don't have. Girls with straight hair want curls, girls with curls want straight. I don't have any recommendations other than taking her to a replicable Ethnic stylist (doesn't have to be a black stylist but that does help; what you want is someone who is experienced in bi-racial or curly hair). Having a consult doesn't put you under any obligation - you let the stylist look at your daughter's hair and give her recommendations. A good stylist will not push you to let her do your daughter's hair and spend money on a relaxer if she knows your willing to try other options at home first. After giving you some suggestions and you and your daughter aren't happy then ask for a Texturizer. It's like a relaxer only you leave it on the hair for a shorter period of time to help soften the curl. You'll do this probably every 6-8weeks; maybe even every 3months depending on how tight the curl is.

GL
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• DONT DO IT!!!!! use pink oil lotion and a blow dryer. Or my friend the hot comb. some times with mixed kids their hair falls out after those chemicals.
    ladiesfirst

Answer by ladiesfirst at 2:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Take her to salon and get a professional opinion. it might cost a bit up front, but they should be able to help you.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009