Gun rights

A gentleman explained to a reporter recently that he was wearing his weapon (which was an assault riffle btw) to a town hall meeting because he was from a state where it was legal to carry an unconcealed firearm, but that no one ever did. His point was that he wanted people to do it more often and for others to "get used to it."

My question: Isn't it better to live in a place where you DON'T see guns all over the place? Why on Earth would you want to see MORE guns? I understand that people have a right to own guns, to hunt with them, and to carry them. I understand that there are many responsible gun owners who are fully educated in fire arm safety. I just don't see why it's necessary to wear a gun in public in full view. Why would you WANT to live in a place where that is becoming more common?

Again, not arguing your right to own them, just questioning the argument that more people should carry unconcealed fire arms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Are you going to mug someone with a visible gun? How about follow them home and wait for them to go to bed to rob them? Would you rape a woman when you know for a fact she's armed? Why on earth would seeing guns be a problem? You are surrounded by people with guns every day, you just don't know it because they're concealed (unless you live in one of the 2 evil states). Do you think they'll have some sort of mental break if they wear them outside their shirt instead of inside?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't get it either, it seems like a huge step back to me. I'd rather live where seeing a gun is a big deal than be "used to it". Plus who the hell needs an assult rifle on their person?
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Plus who the hell needs an assult rifle on their person?

Do you even know the difference between an assault rifle, a hunting rifle and an automatic weapon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Because Obama has stated he intends to take the right to bear arms away from us. Man! I wish Charleton Heston was still alive,and Pres. of the NRA! I may not agree with carrying an assault rifle around,but I can certainly see that man's point,and I agree with him totally on that!
    Anonymous

• How do you know it was an assualt rifle?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• PLEASE! Those people will still get attacked, only now their guns will be stolen and the weapons will be in the hands of the irresponsible criminals instead!

Besides, what about the other 90 % of the population that is not up to no good, we still have to see these gun toting fire arm enthusiasts and it is very intimidating. It does not feel like liberty to me when I have to live in fear that some short tempered gun carrying fool in traffic is armed and just might blow my head off if I make a wrong move!

I'd rather not live in fear. Thanks.
    Anonymous

• People are crazy, I'd rather take my chances that there may be a mugger around than walk into a large crowd filled with gun lovers carrying them...loaded!...that is just insanity. Again, people are nuts, doesn't take much to set a nut off, and how convenient for them to just pull their gun. I don't want to live in a place that is like that.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Because some states say that you can carry a firearm in full view but not concealed without a permit, and often the sight of a gun has quite a civilizing effect on people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Obama doesn't want to take your guns away. He just wants them to stop getting into the hands of the wrong people. Gun control means something different in the inner cities than it does in the mid west where hunting is a way of life.

Also, I am not arguing your right to own them ~ I thought I made that clear ~ I just don't feel like I need to see them all the time! I certainly don't want my kids seeing them just hanging around at the grocery store or the post office.

I like living in a place where there are not guns all over the place. Keep your guns, just keep them where they belong!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Obama is not taking away anyone's guns, that is such BS. It will never happen. And great, you have your right to own one, you want one to protect your home, that is your choice, but we are not living in the wild west, we are civilized human beings.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009