Drinking

i foud achole bottels in my 18 year olds room. everytime i ask her about it she told me she has no idea how they got thire and she dont drink
should i belive her? what should i do about it?
how do i handel a underge drinker?

mykids_mylove

Asked by mykids_mylove at 3:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• It is likely it didn't just start. No, I would not believe her. She would be told..follow the house rules or leave. In my state underage drinkers can get an MIP(minor in possession) for having any blood alcohol period. They get huge fines, drivers licence revoked and a record for life if between 18-21. Don't play games. Don't pussy foot around it. Tell her, and any other kids, that drinking will not be tolerated. The one over 18 is an adult but is breaking the law. You can tirn her in if you find her under the influence. Cut off her luxuries. No cell phone. no car, no cable or internet. Those are not basic needs. If she isn't in school she needs a fulltime job. Serve her notice in writing that in 45 days a modest rent will be due. Failure to pay will result in eviction. Yes, even your own kids are entitled to legal notice.. Don't tell her anything you aren't going to stand behind. If you do thwat you are powerless. They will
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Drinking
    I found alcohol bottles in my 18 year olds room. every time I ask her about it she told (tells) me she has no idea how they got there and she don’t (doesn’t) drink.
    should I believe her? What should I do about it?
    How do I handle an underage drinker?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• always wondered why you can do everything else at 18 but drink...
    so crazy to me..
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• pisces, i've always wondered the same too..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• because lots of kids are still in high school at 18....bad combo
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• honestly, not much you can do unless you are gonna keep her home 24/7. if she wants to drink she is gonna drink... I would just talk to her atleast so she isnt stupid with it.... some parents do a no drinking and driving agreement, where like if she does happen to go out and drink and needs a ride home she can feel comfortable to call you and you ask no questions.... I wish I could tell you what you want to hear and say there is a fix to this, but you were a teenager once and I'm sure you did what you wanted regardless of what your parents said... just talk to her.... to let her know she can come to you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Talk to her. Obviously she knows how bottles ended up in her room and she's just too afraid of getting in trouble with you about it. Make an agreement about being safe, let her know that you don't want her to do it but she is an adult and has to make her own mistakes. Come to an understanding with her that drinking will not be permitted in YOUR house.
    quorleeba

Answer by quorleeba at 1:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

I was 18 and a Senior in High School. I could legally drink. I had to show ID everywhere. Short and freckled. I think there were less problems back then as compared to now. Each state set their own drinking age, with the minimiums being 18. Maybe it should have stayed that way.

It's not about the AGE of the drinker, its about the MENTALITY of the drinker. Drunk drivers and such REAK havok on everyones life,no matter how old or young they are.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 1:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I DON'T EVEN HAVE CONTROL OVER THEM
    molly900

Answer by molly900 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Agree with quorleeba but we added to the rules as soon as they could drive since we buy the cars, pay for ins. gas etc. ,if we think he/she has been drinking and driving the car is gone.All car stuff is done they willdrive again when they get their own eveything including the car on their own.Also we would come and get them if the driver had been drinking and wouldn't tel the parents (that is hard to do).So far two out of college and two left at home...it worked.They knew we were serious.At a party we were called to ,the very drunk young man put his keys in his pocket as we left with our daughter.I did not want him driving.I asked for keys he cussed us so I reached in his pocket and got the keys.He started screaming what a perv I was grabbing his....I could not stop laughing, over the next few days several of her friends told me seriously that they knew I was not grabbing his penis but was getting the keys.Sweet and funny kids
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:36 AM on Aug. 21, 2009