Is this normal for a kindergartener?

This is our after school conversation almost every day:
Me:How was school?
Him:Good.
me: what did you eat for lunch?
Him: I don't remember.
Me:Really?
Him:Well I had a banana.
Me. That's it?
Him: no water to.
Me:No buddy that's what you had for snack.
Him: no it isn't. I had a sweet roll and fruit for snack.
Me:No buddy that must have been breakfast.
Him: No I had a chicken nuggets for breakfast.
Me: No that must have been what you had for lunch.
Him: No it isn't!
Me: okay whatever. Let me see you folder....

He always gets him meals mixed up. When he gets home from school he ask for lunch. I correct him and say snack. Then later in the evening he wants to know what I'm making for lunch. Should he not have this down pat by now? I just find it frustrating. I can't talk to him about it. lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 5 yo still gets her meals mixed up too. She'll ask for lunch at breakfast time or breakfast at dinner time. I don't worry about it though. I figure once she has a better concept of time she'll sort it all out.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• But what did he learn in school?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• lol. That was part of the conversation I just stopped after the confusing stuff. But BTW it was a lot of I don't knows. Like did you have gym today? I dunno. Well did you go to the media center. no. Did you have art> i dunno. lol. I really just give up after a while. Maybe if I stop asking he will talk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would ask my son last school year when he was in preschool what he did in school or what he had for snack and he would say nothing or he didn't remember! They get confused and forget, I dont think the fully know at that age. I wouldn't worry! My son is going to start kindergarten this year and I think it will be about the same, they will learn to remember things in order with maturity

mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 4:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Hmmm my son is this way too and I've always wondered if it were normal. I just try asking him the same questions in different ways. Sometimes I drop it. Curious to see other answers....
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Try some things that will force him to answer with something other than "I dunno", "yes" or "no."

"tell me what you did for art today."

"Name one kid you played with on the playground today"

"Tell me about something funny that happened today."

As for the meal thing..yeah, seems like he should know which is which by now. Is it just meals he mixes up or other things as well?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my daughter does that too..not about the meals, but when i ask her about school its alway no or i dont know..what did you do in school, i dont know...who did you play with?? i dont know...what did you learn about?? i dont know...UUUUUUUUGH frustrating!!!!!!! im glad im not the only one who goes thru this every single day...during preschool it could deal with it because the teachers told us every day what they learned about so i could say, so did you learn about shapes and she would say yaa and start talkin about them..but..with kindergarten its different..cuz i wont always know
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I've noticed that my young kids all do that, not just about meals, but if you ask them a 'general' question, they opt for the easy "Nothing" or "I don't know". . . I've learned to be specific with them if what I ask. . . like instead of "What did you do today?", I'd ask "Did you review your vowels today?" and instead or a "Nothing?" I'll usually get either a "No, I did such and such instead" or an overview of the whole day. It seems young children just don't seem to grasp the generalities very well. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you, I would also try not to over correct him/her when he/she is trying to tell you something, although the child might use the wrong term, if you over correct them it might discourage them from trying to tell you about his day as he feels nit-picked or that you don't understand him.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 7:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Lol, yup. We did that one with both my boys. He remembered recess, he remembered maybe a project that stuck out to him but they are doing SO MUCH that sometimes it all becomes a blur - that and when have the ever before been asked to be able to remember their day chronologically? That's a completely new request.

If you ask every day eventually, maybe by the end of the year you'll get a more detailed response but for the most part yeah. You'll get papers home and be like wow. This is pretty cool and this is the first I've seen of it.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Perfectly normal. Actually last year my son was in 1st grade and at the open house 2 weeks into the school year his teacher made sure we understood that kids that age most likely wouldn't remember anything they did during the day. So instead of asking "what did you learn today" she suggested we ask them what story the teacher read because it was the very last thing they did during the day. She said the answer for anything else would be, "nothing" or "I don't remember" but they should be able to remember the story.
    Oh, and my 6yo daughter mixes up the meals all the time. She calls lunch dinner and dinner lunch and snacks lunch and sometimes lunch is a snack. She just doesn't get it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009