Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I visit my kids if their father is avoiding keeping in contact with me?

There isn't any court order to which parent has custody. Since I was discharged from the military he has had the kids and whenever I try to email or call him he doesn't answer. I don't know where he lives because he is currently living with a girlfriend and am afraid of the influence she will place on them. I want to see them and have them with me every once in a while but he's too busy listening to what his girlfriend says about it. I'm sick and tired of it. I want my kids.

Answer Question

Asked by emoana82 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • take it to court anyways?
    it's your kid too

    Answer by kittenripmaygo at 4:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • I agree. Take him to court!

    Answer by Tiera12 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • Get an good atty and take his butt to court

    Answer by mamakirs at 4:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • I would definitely get a court order if my ex were keeping my kids from me.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 4:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • court

    Answer by boredmom44 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • Court is the only way to enforce it. Right now he has the upper hand since there is no order in effect.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • If there is no court order, you find your kids and go get them. Find out where they're going to school and go pick them up.  Since there is no court order the school can not prevent you from picking up the kids.  Go and sign them out early for the day if you have to. Then go straight to the court house and file for custody...possibly emergency temporary custody(depending on whether you're situation meets the criteria for your state) which will mean they stay with you until the matter is resolved.


    Answer by desert_diva at 4:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • No...if there is no court order neither of you have the upper hand, and the door is WIDE open for you to take it.

    No one can keep you from just taking the kids. No one can keep him from just taking them back unless you file for custody the second the kids are with you.

    Answer by desert_diva at 4:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • Seeing there is no court order, you may run into the problem of him having the kids since you were in the military. He has been the primary parent. I would NOT just go to the school or whatever and just take them, that could be considered parental interference (which is like kidnapping). Get an attorney and go to court for visitation or custody. You should have done that long ago. Personally, I would do NOTHING BEFORE CONTACTING AN ATTORNEY. If you do something that the courts would consider illegal, that will be held against you. Do the right and legal thing and get an attorney, NOW.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

  • I agree that you need to contact a lawyer to find out what your legal ground is.

    Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.