Transitioning to whole milk?

My ds is 11 months-old and eats a well balanced variety of table foods. He is only taking one bottle a day (at bedtime), so his formula intake is limited. Is it safe to start giving him whole milk now or do I need to mix half with formula during the transition?

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 4:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you know now they are saying not to use whole milk because of the high fat content. WIC wont even allow you do buy it on vouchers without doc. approval. two percent offers same nutrition without fat. but whatever you decide, its your kid!!!! i dont know why people believe theres like a magical day that a childs stomach can handle real milk. try it in a small amount one night and see how it works, if the small amt works then move forward!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• umm not sure where pp got her information but they recommend babies drink whole milk BECAUSE of the fat content and my WIC has always offered whole. Anyways, it is definitely okay to start transitioning but I wouldn't just switch cold turkey because it might hurt his tummy or make him gassy. If he doesn't have a real sensitive stomach though you should be able to switch within a week or so. Try doing 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula for a few days, then half/half, then 3/4 milk to 1/4 formula and then by then he should be fine with all milk :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009