Binki and sippy cup at 15 months?

My 15 month old still uses a binky for daytime naps and in the car (we have a very long commute each day to daycare). Big deal at this point?

She also takes a sippy cup of warm milk (4 ozs max) before she goes to bed (which she goes to bed great without a fight and without a binky). Big deal at this point?

My ped says 15 months is the cut off for these things and that I should start to try and eliminate, but I don't think they are a big deal and don't really want to cause any unnecessary meltdowns when I have limited time with her each day due to long work days and she is such a great and happy kid that seems to really like both.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was under the impression that the milk at night could be an issue for the child's teeth.

I don't think a binki at 15 months is a big deal at all. My daughter had developmental delays and wasn't ready to give up the binkie until she was two and a half, her speech language pathologist said that as long as she only had it at naps and bedtime, and wasn't sucking on it the entire time she was asleep, it wasn't a big deal and wouldn't hurt her. I normally say 24 months should be the cut off, but my daughter was about a year delayed, so I felt it was ok to wait a little longer.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My little sister had a binki untill she could speak full sentances.. My dad took it away but while he was work my mom would give it to her and whenever my dad would pull up she would always say "ah dad's home hide my binki" lol so she was around two.. i she doesn't have anything wrong with her her speech is fine so i wouldn't think it was a big deal.. Also my mom has 8 kids who all kept thier binkis for a long time and we're all fine =)
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I should clarify that she doesn't get the sippy of milk in the crib, but on my lap while reading a book, and then when finished we dance a little so I don't think the teeth is an issue.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 4:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I hope that you are brushing her teeth after that milk. Otherwise you are risking serious dental issues.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• id say the milk is fine.. my 13 month old is NOT liking giving up his night time milk! so we lay on the couch and drink it then brush teeth and then bed....

im not a fan of pacis.. my neice is almost 3 and still has one... id say atleast try and get rid of it completly by 18 months
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'm not a fan of pacifiers either. My dd had one for different reasons when she was first born, but was off it by the time she was 8 months. I would talk to a dentist about both of these things as well as your doc.
    rtarango

Answer by rtarango at 10:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009