Do you agree with the college asking her to remove it?

Muslim girl who was asked by her college near Mangalore, India, to stop wearing her headscarf to class due to classmates' complaints has left her studies as a result, NDTV reports.

The Mangalore College has defended its request, saying it did so not on the basis of any personal issues but because they wish to quell tensions between Muslim and Hindu students.

The college principal said, "It is one rule for all students. She is the only one not following the rule."

There have been an increasing number of reports about Hindus and Muslims being asked not to speak to one another or to eat together in restaurants, NDTV reports.

Confrontations between Muslim and non-Muslims revolving around traditional Muslim dress have been surfacing in recent weeks.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes she should had been asked to remove her head scarf. They don't let guys wear hats, or do-rags in school, she's no exception! Plus I saw on the news yesterday they charged someone with a criminal offense for praying in school! How crazy is that.....so her beliefs should go out the door too!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No, I don't. As I understand it, that is a part of their religious traditions. IMO,that is violating her civil rights. I don't know alot about Muslim or Hindu religions or traditions,but I would think it'd be no different than a Christian being asked to remove a cross necklace. Sad, I hope she is able to continue her studies somewhere else.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree with stvmen88.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• stvmen88 I agree with you!
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 4:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think if she wants to wear it let her. But I don't know if she signed a waver saying she would abide by their dress code which a lot of schools have now. If this is the case and she is purposely wearing even though she agreed to their dress code, then she should take responsibility for breaking a rule.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yes she should had been asked to remove her head scarf. They don't let guys wear hats, or do-rags in school, she's no exception!

a hat is not a religious symbol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's part of my religious traditions to preach the Gospel. I should be allowed to do it anywhere I feel like it. But unfortunately the way people have twisted "separation of church and state" I can't without threats of being arrested. If people want religion kept out of public places, it should go for ALL religions. Why should muslims receive special favors?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think they should have let her wear it, it's not a fashion statement, she is respecting her own religion by doing so. If they ever asked a Hindu woman to remove her Bhindi, she would pitch a fit. So, yeah.....let her wear it for gods sake! LITERALY!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• anon 4:32

What if they asked you to remove your crucifix necklace? Would you be OK with that?

She is not praying, she is not pushing her views, she is not even talking about being muslim! She is not using school time for religious purposes.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If she's not using school for religious purposes then she can take her scarf off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009