7 Week old Baby... ALWAYS Hungry

Hey everyone! I havent been on here in awhile, but I am in some need of help. My son was born June 30, 2009 (7 weeks old today) and he is ALWAYS hungry right now... eating almost 5 oz a sitting and wants to each ever hour to hour and a half... my pedi just told me to try giving him water in between feedings... because that is too much formula for him and I am not comfy with that... anyone know anything else I could try?

Krissi041208

Asked by Krissi041208 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's normal, but becareful with the water, normally newborns get choked easy on it, even at room temperature. Just keep a feeding schedule and try to comfort the baby in between feedings.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Water really is best at 7 weeks old. As long as he's not throwing up - I wouldn't worry about him. Will he take a pacifier? Try dipping the pacifier in formula before you put it in his mouth - see if you can "fool" him with the taste. It's worth a try.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• maybe try adding a little baby oatmeal or rice to his formula to keep him full longer. my little girl is 10 weeks old and she was like that too. try seeing if its just him crying from boredom rather than huger and take him on walks etc. good luck!
    USMC_Elisa

Answer by USMC_Elisa at 4:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Babies that little cannot handle oatmeal but you could try the rice. But just a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• babies digestive systems can not handle rice OR oatmeal that young.

If you were nursing I would say nurse on demand but honestly I do not know about formula. What about an organic formula. Soemthing with better ingredients and might keep the baby fuller? I dont know-I nursed my son every 2 hours when he was that age. If he was hungry I just fed him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Neither oatmeal nor rice...they are choking hazards for one, and the seven week old digestive tract really isn't ready for it.

Also be cautious with water...it's VERY easy for baby to get water intoxicated and that can be fatal.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They say at 3, 7 and 12 weeks babies go through a big growth spurt and need to eat more obviously. I'm nursing so I have no idea how much my 5 week old is eating because he eats on demand. Is that really too much for a 7 week old to be eating and says who?
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 5:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't know what else you should try, but I would def get a second opinion on that water thing!! My ped and all my nurses told me that water was a no no until at least 6 months because of how small their tummies are.
    JuicyJuiceKids

Answer by JuicyJuiceKids at 7:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My pedi told me the same, my son ate like a HORSE....i bought bottled water, or boiled water to sterilize it, and gave it to him warm. i wouldnt give him 5 oz of it at a time. But it will help. he probably just wants something in his mouth, my son was like that, but wouldnt take a paci.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son is 7 weeks too and is eating more than usual so i think it is just a growing spurt. I have always been told babies that are full will not eat anymore...they only eat when they are hungry. for the rice cereal deal i think its just fine for you to try. my baby has been having cereal at night for a few weeks now and he just loves it. When it gets to be 7 o clock at night and i try giving him just formula he fusses more unntil i get him cereal...its like he knows its cereal time. his poop patterns never changed and never choked once on it. give it a try if your comfortable
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009