How can you tell if your baby has acid reflux???

My baby acts like his tummy hurts really bad after or during his bottle and he is 4 months and we switched his formula and tried everything the Dr. thinks it's acid reflux and said a lot of babies have it. How do I know so I can help him?? He seems to be in pain.

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 4:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies have reflux and dont spit up or vomit so it is harder to dectect. If your baby arches their back often or squirms a lot those can be signs. Also fussiness and crying is a sign. My son had it with no vomiting and Zantac did help him. He only needed it for 2mo. then it went away. I breastfed him so that helped too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My son had it really bad. He spit up all the time. It wouldn't help if I would keep him upright after his bottles or anything. It got so bad that by the time he was 7 months, he would vomit (projectile) almost every day. His doctor put him on zantac, but that didn't help at all. She just told me that I have to live with it until he grows out of it. Kind of hard to do when you can't take you're child anywhere without worrying about him throwing up all over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• He did the projectile throwing up like 3 times but not all the time his tummy just hurts all the time like he throws up his legs and crys while or after he eats I tried gripe water didn't work.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my son had to have an upper GI done....turns ot he had acid reflux to the point to where he would projectile vomit
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• They smell sour, even after being bathed - you can smell the stomach acid on their breath and in their drool from very early on.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Lots of spit up, or in some cases, none at all (aka "silent reflux") is a big sign. Is your baby fussy right after feedings? Not much sleep? Try keeping your baby upright for 20 minutes after feedings, and also try burping baby during the feeding if he takes a break. Some babies do really well with a wedge in their crib/propping one end of the mattress up. My son still has to take Zantac - it didn't stop the crazy spit up, but did neutralize the acid. The spit-up subsided around 6 months! So, don't wear anything you love or have to dry clean ;-).
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Each baby is different... With mine she began screaming and crying (especially when she was the slightest bit hungry) around 3 weeks old. Did I mention uncontrollable and extreme screaming!!!!! (She also arched her back alot but never thought it was related to acid reflux,until I started researching it) I was told by the pediatrician "it was colic, she will grow out of it" GRRRR.

She would go from happy, smiley baby to screaming/crying unhappy baby in less than ten seconds. She rarely spit up and always seemed gassy (or I thought it was gas) i tried mylicon as well as gripe water- gripe water actually helped calm her stomach, sometimes... She also always had hiccups at least 6 times a day. For months we all suffered she more than us, her stomach and throat were on fire to the point of making red patches on the back of her tongue from her stomach acid... Tagmemt is working so far!!! hope he feels better soon...
    SunnyBeach

Answer by SunnyBeach at 9:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• also like to add that we changed formulas a dozen times, thinking it was the milk or the soy. I think we tried them all, we are now on ready to feed alimentum it is the only baby formula that doesn't have corn, one of the main problems with reflux. Alimentum powder in the can has corn avoid that too. We also are now using Mylanta Cherry Supreme( the one without aluminim) about 3 ccs every 4 hours to help coat the stomach...

SunnyBeach

Answer by SunnyBeach at 9:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah he has lots of gas and he throws his legs up during feeings and he crys when I feed him. I tried gripe water didn't work. He is on gas med, kinda helps he is a pretty happy baby but most of the times when he drinks his bottle he will cry thought it was the formula so I changed it 3 times (over 4 months) the Dr. thought he had a little colic but he has done it since day one and now he is 4.5 months so maybe he has it.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009