worms, maggots, or slugs?

i was out scooping the dogs poo out of the grass and it was stuck to it so i got the hose and hosed it down so my son doesnt get into it. Well, all the poo washed away and i saw two , fairly large, yellowy, white round things in her poo. I know tape worms are flat and long but these looked like grubs or slugs. We dont have money for a vet right now because we are trying to move into our apt and need to come up with rent and a deposit. Do these sound like worms or could they have just been maggots? They WERE NOT moving and were about 1-2 inches in size and round and kinda fat. I dont think the poo was very fresh so..im not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pets

• I don't think maggots. The maggots I've seen are much smaller than 1-2 inches. I agree not tape worms, they are like rice. So I am going for grubs. A slug looks like a snail without its shell and is very slimy. Probably they were not in your dog but just went for the waste. Although I don't know what roundworms look like... although I think not that long and fat. What you described sounds like grubs. You could try googling some pictures.

Answer by Bmat at 4:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sounds nasty but I would just watch to see if the bugs show up again, hopefully they were something on the ground. If they did I would probably call a vet and ask what kind of worms they could be. There are so many types of worms animals can have. Farm type stores (Farm and Fleet, Rural King) carry treatment to get rid of the worms for pretty cheap.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i would buy some wormer just in case it wouldnt hurt her to do it. wormer is like ten buck at pet smart
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• round worms look like spaghetti. they are a yellowy white color thin and tent to curl. Tapes like you said are short and like like rice. It may have just been some funky yard critter under the poop.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009