I dried up! Pregnant and nusing and the milk is gone! She won't gag down formula!

so what do I do? My midwife gave me a list of herbs, can't afford them now. Serena is almost 10 months. She should be on formula for at least a few more months.

1heart1mind

Asked by 1heart1mind at 4:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Same thing happened with me. Everyone tried to convince me that the milk was still there so for a little over a week I tried to continue nursing only to realize I was starving my baby. I'm not saying you have for sure dried up, but don't think it is impossible. None of the old fixes (like water, and oatmeal) helped at all.

Try giving formula in a sippy cup. I use the ones with a soft nipple. My child had no idea what to do with a bottle, but she got the sippy cup down pat.

My little one also only started out eating 2 oz at a time, so we had to feed her often because she wouldn't drink any more. The more she got used to it the more she'd drink at a time. She also would only drink the Costco brand (or Walmart brand) of formula, she didn't like the others. I have heard that organic is sweeter so try that too!

Call the doctor if you're worried and see what he suggests. feel free to pm me if you have any questions!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• what about organic formula, almond milk, hemp milk......
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• do you want to try and get your milk to come back? There is mothers milk tea by Traditional medicinals....it is $5.99 per box
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• From my understanding Mother's Milk tea has fenugreek in it which isn't good to take if you're pregnant!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 5:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My ped told me that at 10 months my daughter could be off formula and on to cows milk as long as she was eating solid foods very well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• What leads you to believe the milk is gone? Let's be sure there really IS a problem...a lot of moms think there is one because they don't pump as much, and pump output isn't an indication of anything.

OATMEAL can make a HUGE difference. Make sure you drink your 64 ounces of fluid. Let's start there and see where we need to go.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante! Good advice! Fluids are so very important....water..water...and more water..
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 5:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2009