hard of hearing vs. selective hearing

how can you tell which category your child falls into?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it's a boy.. selective hearing..
    Girl.. get her hearing checked.. lol

Ok but in all seriousness, when in doubt.. Check it out.. I would get a professional hearing test conducted to rule out any hearing loss or processing disorders, and go from there.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 6:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• A hearing test would help. The way I was alerted to the possibility of a hearing problem was when he in all innocence did what I would never ask of him, such as crossing the road, or riding his tricycle when there was a car right behind him. I became sure it was hearing loss when I found him standing by the car across the road and said what in the world are you doing out here? And he looked at me and repeated what he'd heard me say... a meaningless garble. So we took him and had his hearing checked and yes it was hearing loss. He was 3 at the time.

Answer by Bmat at 5:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• selective hearing.
    you're in ear shot and they 'don't hear you' but once they hear something they wanna hear within ear shot. BAM they got it.

hard of hearing, they have your words a little messed up and mistake a word for another
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 5:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• hearing test. I would think that with some hearing loss, you'd notice difficulty repeating words not jsut following directions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• A simple and free test you can do is to whisper to them. Say something funny and if they respond, than more than likely its just selective. But if they don't, then do it a little louder until they respond, but if there is a reason for consern, go get their hearing checked.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 5:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I agree with momof1boy whisper something funny if they laugh there's your answer. If they don't respond see how loud you have to get in order for them to respond. If you're that concerned go get their hearing tested.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009