Sippy cups smell like sour milk... should I throw them out?

My son has a few sippy cups and some smell like sour milk. The cups are clean just came out of the dishwisher. My question is should I get rid of them and buy new sippy cups? Should I use something special to wash them in? Right now they are soacking in warm, soapy water but I am not sure if that is going to do the trick or not.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try boiling them first. If that doesn't work then get new ones if you want.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 5:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I get all the sippies and all their parts and boil them in a pan of water on the stove for about 8-10 minutes every week - keeps them clean and smelling fresh.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• same as above if you wanna really get rid of the smell then try the dishwasher as well.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• soak them in hot vinager water.... but id just get new ones... i get new cups every 3 months anyway
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• it depends on the age of you child you could start switching to big people cups and not sippy, they say you can place sippy cups in bleach but wash them out good
    Kristy997

Answer by Kristy997 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• put vinager in the dishwasher & run them through again.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• When my son's started to smell, I would soak them in a sink full of hot water and about a 1/4 of bleach. That usually got rid of the smell. Just make sure you wash them a couple times before you use them again.
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I had a few like that. . . I pitched them and started switching the sippies to the take & toss disposables.  I figure I can use the same cups after I transition to big boy cups.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009