lunches home or school?

Can you feed your kids home lunches for 1.75 a day,if you can what do you put in their lunch sacks and where do you shop? My school charges 1.75 for lunch. It would cost me a total of $140 a month to feed my kids at school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always preferred the school lunch! My mom is a lunch lady and has been for almost 30 yrs. She is actually in a school system that promotes HEALTHY lunches...so I am a bit Bias! I always loved school lunches! I liked the variety and having a choice! This is just my opinion! I would hate sandwiches everyday!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Our school also charges 1.75. We used to always buy. but last year my son got more selective and he brings lunch *most* of the week. He's got an insulated lunch bag so that gives us some variety.

Albertsons and WalMart are my usual stores. My son's preferences are peanut butter and honey, ham, roast beef or turkey sandwiches. He also likes grilled cheese and doesn't mind if it's cold. He'll also eat cold spaghetti! I always pack him a water bottle, an apple or banana and a couple of cookies. We've tried things like fruit cups, and he never eats them. Same with fruit rollups or other dried fruit snacks. Handi-snacks puddings and jello are a hit though.

Cost-wise, it's pretty much been a wash for us. $1.75/day is a pretty cheap meal.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• The food in the Chicago public schools is wretched; my daughter would bring lunch from home even if they paid us for her to eat them.

I have a long list of bagged lunch ideas that I have collected ober the years; send me a message and I will br happy to forward a copy to you.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Wow, only $1.75? Ours are about $2.25 a lunch. My son is in middle school and it is uncool to bring a bag lunch, so he buys lunch at school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you use coupons, stockpile, and hold the coupons to only use them when things are on sale, you can do lunches easily for under $1. Outside that, invest in some Funtainers or Thermos food containers - they're like short thermoses without a drinking spout. You can always send the previous night's dinner leftovers. Pour boiling water in the thermos for a few minutes to pre-heat it, then dump it and add the reheated leftovers. Same for cold - pack it with ice to cool it, dump and add cold foods.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I make lunch for my son 4 days a week because school lunches suck so he goes thru the a la carte line & that cost $4.50 or more each time he buys. I do let him buy on Fridays as a treat (he is 13 BTW and eats more than DH & I put together).
    bocamom62

Answer by bocamom62 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009