step daughter

How do you deal with your stepdaughter's attitude changes- I emailed her and asked her to please tell her grandparents thank you for anything they sent her and she writes back with i did tell them thank you and don't lecture me on the computer. Normally this child doesn't tell anyone thank you for anything so it came as a surprise to me when she actually thanked them. She keeps having attitude with me and I have been nothing but nice to this child! What would you guys do?

psurmont

Asked by psurmont at 5:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would beat her. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• is she a teenager? im sure shes the same way to her mother too!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• As a step-mom, just let it ride for now, bring it up to your husband, and let him know what is going on. Keep being nice to her, and from experience with my step-daughter now, she will come around with a good attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• you know, I will have her father tell her this and not have it be your job. I understand you have that want and need for her to be respectful but when my mom married my stepdad, SHE was still the parent of me. If I should write thank you's and my Stepdad was the one thinking that, he would tell my mom and she would in turn tell me I needed to do that. Some things like that Step kids don't want to hear and will consider it more a lecture at teenage years and shouldn't be your stress.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well she just emailed me back and said she didn't have an attitude and she is a teenager.
    psurmont

Answer by psurmont at 5:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• She will have more attitude to you more than anyone because she may think that you are trying to replace her birth mother. I would talk to her in person and tell her how you feel about her attitude, she may shrug you off and say whatever or grunt but having a civil, face to face conversation may get through to her. It was good of you to make sure that she said thank you, even if you are not the biological mother, it is your job to make sure that she is polite. Don't be afraid to be firm with her, now that she is in your hands you should treat her like she was your biological child. I commend you for being a great mother.
    groovymama1987

Answer by groovymama1987 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009