HOw did you become vegan/vegitarian

was it that you never liked meat or was it a life change? I am curious because I have been interested in incorporating veganism/vegitarian in my life. I love fruits and veggies but i also like meat but i could live without it and not miss it that much. (i may need a steak once a month lol). But i have a problem with creativity and 3 meaty children and 1 VERY meaty husband. Even the sight of veggies causes fights at the dinner table so this may be something i have to do for myself. I have a hard time with figuring out good recipes without eating pasta all the time. Like tonight for example i am just eating raw fruits and veggies because idk what to cook. How do you make sure your diet is balanced is another one of my questions as well.

jenniamigo

Asked by jenniamigo at 5:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• There is not nearly enough room here to completely answer your questions. I am vegetarian because meat is a very inefficient delivery system for nutrition, is bad for the planet, and not very good for people. I plan meal, shop and cook; I get to choose. We eat tasty, healthy meals. Being vegetarian should be about what you DO eat, not what you DON’T eat. Here is a simple daily guide for omnivores and herbivores alike: 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables, in at least 3 different colors; 5-6 servings of whole grains; at least 2 servings of legumes. Here are a couple of nutrition related links for you: http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/food_groups.html 

http://www.pcrm.org/news/release090402.html

Feel free to contact me with any questions, any time.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am not vegan, more of a pollotarian.. I eat chicken and turkey but stopped eating beef and pork about 2 years ago and never went back. Ive seen what these cows/pigs look like, some are disease ridden and ill with soars all over their bodies.. The fda allows them to continually sell and breed these sick animals for food. They get inspected about once every seven years so lord only knows whats being put in the meat. It was hard at first, but I am at the point know where I look at red meat like I would look at plate of poop.
    I also did a lot of research as to the effects that red meat has on the body... One of my favorite vegan books is "skinny bitch" which sounds like a diet book but is in fact more of a vegan book. Good luck :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:46 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Visit goveg.com to get all the info you need on becoming vegan...
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:48 AM on Aug. 19, 2009