Broken toe?

I think I broke my baby toe but I was told that there was no way becasue it's not bruised (wasn't told this by a medical professional) is this true it's really swollen and I can't hardly walk on that foot because of the pain. So what I'm asking does my toe have to be bruised in order for it to be broken? And is there anything a Dr can do for it or should I not even waste my time with drs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Health

• Yes you can have a fracture without bruising although it is not common. No there isn't much treatment. Is the tip of the toe warm...or cold. If it is cold are your other toes warm. If you press on the nail does it blanche white then quickly return to pink/red when released. If the toe is not cold compared to others and the capillary refill (the nail thing) is okay it probably isn't displaced.. However, going to the Dr may be needed for one reason...pain meds. My husband has broken his twice and it is very painful. Ice, ice ice..20 mins on...30 mins off.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You can have a fracture without bruising. I fractured my ankle last month, and had no bruising until they did my surgery. As Grneyedgrandma says, it's not common, but it does happen. If you really think that you may have broken it, see a dr. I don't think they can really do much, I think they just tape it to the toe next to it, but I'd go and get it checked out. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I has a friend a guy who was 6ft 2 inches and 240 step on my toe and I swear it was broke and I went in and they said ice and elevation and advil for pain and tape it to the next two or three toes, OMG did it hurt. First time I broke a toe it did not bruise and the second time my toe was black so just keep watch and take care honey, but I will tell you my toes have never been the same again...LOL
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009