Evolution... What do you think it's really about?

I posted a poll asking what children should be taught in school... Evolution or Creation or both or neither...

Anyway, one lady answered with this: "if we all evolved from monkies, why do we still have monkies"

I see this as one more person that was mis-informed about the theory of evolution!

So, here is my question. What do you think evolution is? And have you ever done any reading on the subject or are you simply learning from others that may or may not have been mis-informed as well...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have personally taken quite a few college courses on evolution. I still don't believe it is what really happened, and I don't base my belief on "blind faith" but on science too.

I believe that there is variation within a species, but I don't believe in macro-evolution or the Big-Bang theory.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I look at it like we humans have a common ancestor with apes and through mutations based on environmental factors as well as survival of the species, humans evolved.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• evolve means change....mad scientists are still trying to figure out how we happened to get here.
    Very simple and only costs a couple $$$ to get a manual that will explain it all.
    KJV Bible is the one I have.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't feel like explaining evolution, it'll fall on mostly deaf ears. (Not you Sabrina, of course.) But it's absolutely absurd to think that we evolved from monkeys. Silly, stupid, ABSURD. Obviously whoever thinks that has never really studied it. Evolution does not say anywhere that we evolved directly from apes.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I'm not a scientist or anything, but I have always been fascinated with evolution. I know enough about it to understand how it works (in general) and that there is no denying that there is evidence of it EVERYWHERE. How do you explain seemingly useless parts on animals that are of no use? Like dew-claws on a dog, rear leg bones found inside the tail end of a dolphin, remnants of a claw on some snakes, etc, etc??? How do you explain all the fossil evidence...like dinosaur fossils with evidence of feathers or ape-like creatures that walked upright??? Unless you think Satan planted all this stuff there to fool us, I don't see how anyone could deny evolution. I think people just don't understand the magnitude of how long it takes for micro-evolution to produce a noticeable change. If you think micro-evolution exists, then millions of years of that equals *shock* MACRO-evolution!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You *know* they think Satan put it there to fool us ;P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If people really studies what Darwin really said about evolution they would realize that what has been taught is false and way off from what he really said....

What he said was that the animals he studied on the island had evolved to survive on the island... he didn't say that monkeys became man or that bees turned into butterflies...

In all actuality we have all evolved to survive... like um... we no longer have bodies completely covered in mass amounts of hair because we don't need it anymore... evolution is merely how we change throughout the years... but we have and always will be HUMAN
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I am a Christian who believes that God  used evolution from the beginning and is still using it to this day. We are seeing birds change their colors to blend in with the smog darken trees. we are seeing viruses change and evolve all the time.

i think it should be taught in school. We did not come from monkeys and that is not what evolution is about that is just hogwash that has been around since Darwin came out with his book.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would just like to point out that the Big Bang theory is COMPLETELY Separate from Evolution. Evolution states the changes in the genetic material of a population of organisms over time.
    Big Bang covers the expansion of the universe from an initial condition. The two are separate theories that have nothing to do with the other.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Some people do STILL have bodies with mass amounts of hair. It is kinda funny, LOL : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009