ugh! medical bills question

My DH and I are both out of jobs. We have over 10K in past medical bills that would take us 10 years to pay off. Is there any kind of assistance or help with the matter that can reduce this for us? Any forms I can fill out to apply? Where can I find this information?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 6:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Apply for medical assistance and they will back date 3 months. Call the hospital/clinic you owe them to and ask for a charity write off or if they have financial aid
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would contact the people you owe and explain your situation. I just had surgery on my ankle, and they ran me thru thier system for charity, assistance, discounts, etc. If nothing else, they might at least give you a discount so you don't have to pay as much. If they won't do anything, I'd see if they would be willing to give you X months with no payments so that you can find jobs again. It's worth a shot; worst they can do is say no, and then you're no worse off. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Thank you ladies!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• If you ever listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio or on TV, he's always giving advice about this exact situation. What you do is ask for a face-to-face meeting with the hospital administrator. Go in, be polite and explain your situation. Many times they will negotiate the bill and downsize it to something manageable. The hospital would rather get something than nothing. Good luck with your job search!

http://www.daveramsey.com/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2009