pushing kids before kindergartin good or bad?

Do you think pushing your kids before kindergartin a good thing or are we pushing them to hard? I myself have a child entering kindergartin next year. If you don't push them will they fall behind when they get into school, or should we let them just enjoy being a little kid? read story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32404017/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/?GT1=43001

"Today, many children go to two or three years of preschool and some stay on for another year of pre-K. Like Rubesch, some parents have begun signing their kids up for summer classes or one-on-one tutoring to improve their reading, math, writing and overall "kindergarten readiness."
It’s not hard to see why parents feel the pressure to help their kids, but is all this kindergarten preparation really necessary? Is it just one more example of over-the-top helicopter parenting? Or has kindergerton become so rigorous that kids need every possible advantage to secceed

rlapierre03

Asked by rlapierre03 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ugh. I didn't take the time to read the story, but I hear what you're saying. I think we forget that healthy play is a part of a child's learning. I say "healthy" because I don't think watching TV and playing video games is developing their brains. I grew up with three brothers, all of us home school starting in first grade about age 6 and none of us going to preschool OR kindergarten. When I was 5, mom gave me a math workbook for "fun" and I did it at my own pace while my older brothers did their homeschool. Then age six we got serious. We were out of school by noon every day, and and always scored ahead on placement exams. What kids need is more outdoor play, more time with their parents. Personally, I think people push their kids because they're competative with other parents, and that's not fair to kids.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well i wasn't pushing my kids, but i encouraged them to learn things. like colors, shapes, numbers, their abcs. none of my kids are in school, but i do homeschool my oldest with little preschool books about writing letters and shapes and stuff. we do maybe 30 mins a day. my 3 yr old son watches and learns in the process.

my 4 yr old daughter knows more than most first graders so i don't see that giving your kids a little bit learning time is unhealty. everyone has their own opinions though, so you have to be comfortable in what you do with your own kid! good luck :)
    jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 7:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• In recent years, preschool, kindergarten, 1st grade, etc. have all been bumped up a whole grade. What kids are expected to learn in Kindergarten today, is what their parents learned in 1st grade and so on. When you look at children and their natural development, the kids have not changed, but the curriculum and educational expectations have. Also, it is not just what they are expected to learn that has changed, but the manner in which it is taught has changed. Sure, most kids can handle Kindergarten the way it is, but sometimes it is at a cost. During my daughters Kindergarten year, she was always well behaved, made great grades, and made lots of friends. She also had wonderful teachers, but at the end of the day when she got home from school, she most always had a melt down! She wanted to wrestle, be squeezed, and was weepy. I really think she was STRESSED!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• (continued) My daughter went to one year of preschool when she was four years old. It was plenty to make sure that she was ready for Kindergarten. She was also at a sitter's with several kids her age, so she had alot of peer interaction. Most of the research shows that kids who are way ahead of their peers when they begin Kindergarten, eventually even out and you can't tell who started out ahead. Most importantly remember when getting your kids READY for school, keep it fun, interactive, moving, hands on, positive, friendly, etc. You want them to love learning!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You know I read something a few years ago about teachers just wishing the parents wouldn't spend so much much time teaching them all the normal kindergarten stuff, but spend more time on teaching the kids to take care of themselves.....putting jackets on, and just taking care of themselves.
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009