How to switch my 1 year old to cows milk. And get him off the bottle he is already attached?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Introduce the sippy cup to him everday and keep it in his sight and show him how to use it. At night give him the bottle until he learns to drink from the sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would do some research first if I were you. Dairy products can be hard on little systems, and I believe there is a link between allergies and starting milk products too early. There is a strong link between ear infections and dairy use. Soy milk is better.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I read soy milk is bad for little kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My daughter had a horrible time when it came to switching from formula to cows milk and also from switching from bottle to cup, but this is what worked for us. First of all, introduce his favorite drinks in the cup, so he gets used to them. You can find cups out there that are "shaped" like bottes, or that have tops similar to bottles, use those temporarily to get him used to the cups. Then gradually get him to a regular sippy cup. But don't just take away his bottle, especially if he is a night baby, instead, you should try giving him water at bed time, that way he still gets the bottle, but it is better than giving him milk in a bottle at bed time. My daughter is almost 15 months and now during the day she drinks solely out of a cup, milk, juice, water, anything. And at night time, if she wants I let her have a bottle of water, which she loves!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• When I switched my son from formula to milk our dr. told us to wean him. He told us start out giving him a bottle w/ 3/4 formula and the rest milk, and every couple days add more milk and less formula until he is on the milk completely.
    I didn't have much trouble with the sippy cup b/c I started giving him juice in it when he was 7 mos old, that way he was familiar with it by the time it came to getting rid of the bottle. But, since you can't do that, I'd say start by giving him juice or water in it and let him get used to that. Always keep it out on the counter or table so he can see it. That way it isn't a total shocker when his bottle goes bye byes
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009