Do you think Texas public schools are considering students of other faiths when it comes to their required Biblical studies?

What about Jewish students and Muslim students? I am worried about this decision.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sigh. It is an ELECTIVE course that will be taught IF the REQUIRED 15 students sign up for it. If 14 students sign up, it will not be taught at all.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Probably not. If they are allowing bible study, they should aslo allow books from other faiths in the study as well such as the Book of Mormon, the Qu'ran and the Satanic Bible- it's only fair, right?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I think it would be great if they did one of two things:

1)offered all major religions a class to teach their text, and let the student/parent choose which one

2)offered these classes in each grade, doing a different religion each year.

But honestly, I don't think this will last very long, unless people don't protest it. But protesting is the American way. I'm sure it wont go over well.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We are Jewish and I never thought that Texas would stoop so low. I honestly had faith in the public school systems to not discriminate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Of course not. But do remember this is an ELECTIVE course not required.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• you guys are looking at this all wrong! Go read the articles again... it will be taught as literature and as an elective course not as a religion or a bible study! Highschools here in Calif have the required World Religions class and touches on all the religions and what they are about and their history. That to me is wrong to force kids to take a class with all the religions, it should be an elective not as a requirement for graduation!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I hope it is just an elective. I have heard that it is required. What will we do as a Jewish family if it is required?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Answered at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 by: IhartU
    Probably not. If they are allowing bible study, they should aslo allow books from other faiths in the study as well such as the Book of Mormon, the Qu'ran and the Satanic Bible- it's only fair, right?
    ~~~~
    Where have you been for the last several years?
    They have told tales to the kids in school. They have used other religions to push it through.
    God/Jesus will not be silenced.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 6:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Again... this is an elective.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

You join the protests and stand up for your rights. That is if it bothers you that much. Personally I want my children to learn a little about it so they will be more understanding of other people's beliefs. I am secure that their beliefs cannot be swayed by religious dogma.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009