what do you think about catholic schools?

are they better than public? is the children there more well behaved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They certainly learn better grammar...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• from experiance the children are better behaved for the most part, it's after they are finished with the catholic school, they've been sheltered and once they are out and about, they seem to go nuts. not crazy just ready to try anything. it's a completly different world catholic versus public schooling
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't know from personal experience yet but my son will be going into kindergarten next month at a Catholic school. I know that this school has the highest assessment scores in my county, and class size is a lot lower and those are 2 reasons we are sending him there. Also because obviously there's some Faith based learning going on there and we want him to experience that. One of the women from our Church has a son enrolled there going into 4th grade and she mentioned to us that the children at that school are very well behaved and well mannered, but again, I don't know from personal experience yet so I can't really compare them to the attitudes and manners etc. of children in public school just yet.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I went to a private Christian school, not Catholic but I guess the experience could be similar. I had friends from private schools of all kinds. I can tell you that many of us got a great education and wonderful school experiences. My school had no drugs, no violence and my graduating class was 100% college-bound. Some of us are now military personnel, social workers, teachers, RNs, engineers etc. I had friends at local public schools though who are now sports trainers and pharmacists! Great education and experiences can be found ANYWHERE and it's really SCHOOL-SPECIFIC :-)

I suggest to check out everything available in your area and write it all down and compare to decide what's best for your family :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• lol its just a richer group of partiers where cliques and social classes are more intense and we found the education to be inferior to public schools
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i think its a misconception that private-school students are better behaved than public-school students. i went to pub schools my entire youth, and never once posed a problem to the school/teachers/students. on the other hand, a neighbor girl got kicked out of three private schools, one xtian and two catholic.
    kids are going to do what they are going to do; doesn't matter what school they attend. kids who are properly taught to behave at school (or anywhere) and respect their fellow students/teachers/etc attend both...likewise, kids that aren't, do too.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Depends on the school but I think it's not the school it's the parents. The parents at our Catholic school are much more involved (since they are paying out the wazoo for the school) so their kids are better behaved for just having mom and/or dad around. Education wise it varies greatly by school. My kids go to one but they are no where near the level the public school kids are. They didn't even teach reading in kindergarten and my son is going into 2nd grade and can barely read at all (keeping my fingers crossed that it finally clicks with him this year).
    I also went to Catholic school for 13 years and I saw all sorts of behaviors...girls having sex in junior high, drinking, drugs, gangs. In high school a fist fight broke out in the cafeteria at my all girl school that took 4 teachers to break up. 2 friends of mine got pregnant in high school. I knew a girl that got expelled and some that rebelled after graduation.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• lol its just a richer group of partiers

Very interested to hear that. I will tell that to the Catholic school up the street in a high crime poverty stricken area in which over half the kids get financial aid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• drop out rate in our public schools is 49% drop out rate in our area's Catholic school is 2%

college bound kids in our public schools 45% in our Catholic schools 85%

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• There is a 2nd grader that doesn't know how to read? Public or private I blame the parents on this one. He should be tested and if all the 2nd graders can't read I would leave that school faster than you can read a 2nd grade spelling list. *that comes from a Catholic who went to Catholic schools*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009