Why is my 4 year old afraid of everything?

My 4 year old has always been a routine child. He puts himself on a routine and if we try to change it forget it! He has recently become afraid of everything. We first noticed it in Disney world when he was almost 4. He didn't want to do anything, everything was scary. The only rides we could get him on were Dumbo and the marry-go-round. He trembled through It's a small world and the night we were there for the trick or treating was a disaster! He was not happy about being there in the dark and then the fire works started, he sat on my lap with his head berried trembling uncontrollably. Now he's afraid of just about every noise out there (our house alarm scares him). And other things like going to the Dr or the dentist scares him. He obsesses over everything that scares him. "Am I going to get shots?" "Is there going to be fireworks?" I don't know if this is normal, but it's really getting out of hand. Anyone have any advice?

mommyparker

Asked by mommyparker at 6:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I really don't have a lot of advice. My 4 year old is fearless except when it comes to thunderstorms. Other than that, she's not scared ENOUGH about stuff and that scares me!
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Some kids suffer with irrational fears. Don't really know why they just do. However, you're reaction to them is what helps them get over them. You know there are times, like the doctor or dentist, that they just HAVE to go and do what needs to be done. These are when you must just be matter of fact with him and don't lie to them to make them feel better. Other times if there is an option to remove him from the situation and it is not inconvienent to do so, do it. But again don't over react or get frustrated. Try giving him his own flashlight for when it is dark, even earplugs for loud noises. Let him take a favorite toy/ security thing to the doctor or dentist. Disney can be a scary place for kids because they relate size to what they see in pix and on TV and don't always realize how Big things can be. I've been in your shoes and he's 13 now and though he still doesn't always like certain places etc. he can cope.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 3:47 AM on Aug. 19, 2009