For pagans: Do you have a witch's name, and how did you choose it?

One of the things I have been exploring as a witch is my witch's name. I know that there are several methods in choosing one, and the method I have found most attractive is through Tarot. I'm wondering, for those of you who do have a witch's name, how did you choose it? Have you ever changed it? What about it appealed to you and why? And do you feel comfortable sharing it?

LOL ok, so that was more than one question. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Guinhyvar

Asked by Guinhyvar at 7:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly mine just sort of hit me over the head.

Kinda played on my animal totem, so it made sense.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 7:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• You're looking at it.

I chose Gemini because I embody a lot of the traits associated with the sign: mercurial, quick-witted, short-tempered but don't hold grudges, lots of ideas, lacking follow-through at times, etc.

Love, because I believe love is one of the most powerful forces on earth (and like most forces in nature, it can be beneficial and destructive).

It's been my name for over a decade and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I chose my name because I kept seeing the same animals in my visions.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Vision quest. Never changed it. The name is me, it's who I am. sigh. It simply fits me best. And no it's not a name that I give out.

But I have a public Pagan name, Isabella LeCour. I chose that one because it resonated it with me and what the names mean.

Isabella - My God is a vow. God's promise, God is my oath. "Consecrated to God."
    Gwendolyn- White ring, White brow, circle, moon, "Blessed", Fair,
    LeCour- "The Heart."

So it's more of a motto "Consecrated to God, Blessed and Married to the Heart." And it's not changing anytime soon. Like Geminilove, I've held this name for over a decade.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My magickal name is the name you see here. However, I know its not complete, so thats only part of it.

I was just so struck by this particular word, it haunted me almost...thats how I got it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• In my belief system your magick name is not something you neccesarily choose, it comes to you. And as you change in your life so does your name. I personally have gone through four names, my most current one was given to me by my guide in a very physical way. I still have connections to the old ones, you dont really give them up you transform with them. I also have a public craft name that I give out to most ppl bt the ones very very close to me know my truename. We start out with a name (names in my tribe) given by our guardians which holds the purpose and gifts of our elders. When we go through puberty we are allowed to alter one name. When we become adults we go on a vision quest to find our truename. And as we evolve as people, or go through special events, sometimes our name is altered to reflect who we are at this point or who we have become.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Mine came to me one day from out of the blue. I keep it to myself though. :)
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My circle did a name quest involving a meditation around fire. The name that came to me as soothing and as strong as a mother's hug. Haven't needed to change it, but I often need a reminder why it is what it is.
    J-M

Answer by J-M at 8:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Mine basically was just always there. For some reason it was a name,derived from my favorite tree and flower, that I've always felt a connection to. Plus, numerically it matches with all my other numbers, spelled the way I spelled it. :)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No, I don't....never found it necessary or important.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:05 AM on Aug. 19, 2009