1350 reinstated by GM due to Cash for clunkers success, sustainable?

DETROIT (AP) -- Higher sales, in part from the government's Cash for Clunkers program, are spurring General Motors Co. to boost production at several of its factories.

The automaker said Tuesday it will add 60,000 vehicles to its production in the third and mainly the fourth quarter. It will also bring back about 1,350 laid-off workers in the U.S. and Canada.

GM will add a shift to its CAMI factory in Ingersoll, Ontario, where the new Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain midsize crossover vehicles are made. The company's Lordstown, Ohio, assembly plant, where the Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are made, also will see additional shifts.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ummm...they MAY want to wait and see if the gov't gets the reimbursement figured out first!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Yeah, they haven't made good on their promise to pay the dealers yet. I think it was a big mistake to trust anything this administration promises.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Ignore they naysayers. This is good news.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 8:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's good news until they run out of the extra billions they put into the C4C program. So in that sense, a temp job is better than no job. I have to wonder though, when dealers stop doing the cash 4 clunk program because they aren't getting their money from the feds, what then?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• An incentive brought about jobs--just as Obama predicted! I knew things would turn around with patience and perserverance. Good news indeed! Thanks for sharing!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 8:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Once Cash for Clunkers is over, the boom in sales will be over. What will those workers do then?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I went out and bought me a bumble bee yellow Hummer! I've been drooling over one of those babies for a long time. My midlife crisis! To hell with gas mileage!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• No one is doing the program in my community. The dealers that were have not gotten one dime of the money yet and were told it could be a few months. The week they did it no one knew what to do with the cars so they ended up in the land fill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Mercy the same people who brought us fannie and freddie and the housing crisis...uh huh wonder just how many that bought news cars wont be able to make the payments soon.Also yes the dealers havent even been paid
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• GM will add a shift to its CAMI factory in Ingersoll, Ontario

Congrats, Canada!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009