karo syrup or no?

i called the dr because my 2 month old hasn't had a BM in a couple of days. She is normally EBF, except the other day I gave her 2 2 ounce bottles of formula, so maybe that did something to her..idk. BUT the pediatrician told me to give her a teaspoon of karo syrup in her bottle every time i feed her. i'm kind of uneasy about this, because i've been reading that it is unsafe for babies. this same dr told me to give her rice cereal at 2 weeks for spit up, which only made it worse for her. Suggestions?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 7:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES DO IT!!!!! We had to put karo in my nieces bottles when she was little and it helped alot with her BM. I would say atleast try it for a couple of days and see if it helps you.
    Miranda123006

Answer by Miranda123006 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Umm. NO and find a new pediatrician. First off cereal in bottles makes fat babies and other eating , allergy and medical issues later on. Second Karo can contain botulism spores. While these are relatively harmless to the average person they can be quite harmful to an immature immune system. No karo before 1 yr..ever. Give her some apple, pear or prune juice..she will move.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• well the rice cereal will make her more constipated.
    pear juice is good for pooping.

GL.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 7:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NOOOOO! It's a botulism risk!

How do you know your DD is constipated? EBF babies can go days without a BM because your milk is SO easily and COMPLETELY digested, there may not be enough waste to form a stool. Unless she's having hard, or pellet like stools, just keep nursing, and she'll eventually have a blow out on you :D
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• "First off cereal in bottles makes fat babies and other eating , allergy and medical issues later on. "

LMAO Oh man! Misinformed much? Cereal in bottles do not make babies fat nor does it cause allergy or medical issues later on in life either...
    Seriously, quit believing everything you read.

Cereal is put in bottles for many many reasons! I had to put cereal in my sons bottle early on because of acid reflux, he is far from fat and has no allergies or medical issues.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't. It's a risk for botulism. AND it't normal for a breastfed baby not to poop everyday. They can go up to 2 weeks without pooping and it's fine. With my son he only ever went once/week. If she really needs too poop I would try pear juice first.... 1/2 an ounce.... it's safer (it's was we do in the NICU and on Ped's when they need help in the pooping department) After that try some rectal stimulation.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Kalebs Mommie..first of all your sarcastic attitude is unwarranted. Secondly I am a nurse and what i read are the latest medical and nursing journals. Do much research other than google aribitrary websites?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Constipation is a change in one's reg. pattern of bm toward infrequent stools of a firmer consistency and passed with difficulty..meaning it's not the number but is it hard and difficult to pass. Manufacturers of corn syrup can't guarantee that botulism will not occur. However, there are no cases of botulism from corn syrup. The main problem with Karo syrup is it may cause diarrhea which will lead to dehydration. Since your baby is 2 months old, I would give her bf her reg. and increase her intake of water..couple of bottles of water.  ~~NP-C

Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It says on the official Karo website NOT to give their product to infants.
    Cereal in a bottle is for RARE cases where medication and breastmilk diet changes aren't available. Unless your child has a medical problem, diagnosed by a GI specialist, don't go sticking crap in their mouths.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 8:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NO NO NO NO!

It's a botulism risk. It's NORMAL for a breastfed baby to go MANY days wihtout a bowel movement. The current record is 21 days...with a normal breastfed poop at the end of it.

Your baby may be off rhythm because of the formula, but if baby's not straining to pass a hard dry pellet, relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009