13 month old and meals...

My son won't eat a meal. He is still learning all the new foods and textures but I would think he would eat at least somewhat of a meal. He basicly snacks all day. I have been trying to make him meals but he spits out 99% of what ends up in his mouth...
When will he need to actually eat full meals? And what/how much should I give him??

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 7:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Regular meals are a must. He shouldn't be snacking all day. Feed him at regular intervals (for example

breakfast 7:30am
    snack 9:00am
    lunch 11:30am
    snack 1:30pm
    dinner 5:00pm
    snack before bath.bed

Don't force food on him if he doesn't like it. Talk about starting world war III. Just let him each as much or as little as he wants. He won't go hungry. If he eats very little during one of his meals, remember-he'll have a snack 1.5-2 hours later. He'll likely eat more then.

Don't totally get rid of the purees. If he'll only eat vegetables that are pureed, then give them to him. It's important for him to have the vitamins and other health benefits from them. You can try making them chunky, gradually making them more chunky until he's eating non-pureed vegetables.

Cut down on the beverages. Only 16-20 oz of milk, and no more than 4 oz of juice. If he's thirsty, offer (C
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• At 13 months old he is just starting to explore new solid foods other than baby food ... You can't expect them to just sit through a meal right away. Give it time, he will adjust and start being able to eat a meal. Also try getting him on a meal schedule. The snacking throughout the day could be a problem with him not wanting to eat one full meal. Make sure he eats a good breakfast, maybe a small snack afterwards if he wants it but make sure it's something small and simple and then give him a nice lunch and so on..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• (COND): water.

Cut foods into tiny pieces that are easy to chew. I found that when I gave my daughter tiny pieces of meat/bread, etc, she ate much more than when I offered her larger pieces.

Don't become a "short order cook". If he doesn't like what you serve, then it's his choice not to eat it. BUT, don't give him something else instead. He'll never eat what you offer, because he'll know that you'll give him whatever he wants to eat. If he refuses a meal, then the meal is over. Remember, there's a snack later on. He won't go hungry. Some moms try to offer the rejected meal at the next scheduled meal, but I don't always do that. Some foods don't keep well (as leftovers), and if I wouldn't eat something that is old and appetizing, why should I expect my daughter to?

I hope I helped. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yeah - what anon said

Answer by missanc at 9:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009