For a cat, this or that...

What kind of cat food do you give your cat?

Do you switch between wet food and dry food?

Do you think it matters what they eat?

I just rescued a cat and would like some recomendations!

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Pets

• dry food is best because it will keep their teeth cleaner. dental cleanings cost and arm and a leg! my MIL got us a humongous bag of meow mix for our outdoor cat, and i noticed he's lost a bit of weight while on it. i prefer better quality food than that, but free is free, eh? we try to get him iams or something similar usually.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Our cat ate iams, my sister would give her cats a can of wet a week, for a treat. Yes it does, they can be allergic to fish, or have hair ball problems. As you get to know your cat better you will figure out what is best for the cat. Enjoy.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Our family has 3 cats, one of which has been with us for 17 years....She's getting to act like an old lady lately, but it still a love! We feed wet food a.m. and p.m., they have dry food avaiable all the time. We use Meow Mix dry food for Indoor cats, they've eaten that for years with no health problems at all. Good luck!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• when i could afford it i gave my cats fancy feast 2 x a day and 1 cup of dry food 2x a day but now all they have to eat dry food they still only get 1 cup 2x a day...im very picky on their weight. i usally try to stick with 2 brands of food so i can buy the cheaper one every 2 weeks i get purenia indoor formula and meow mix for kitty litter i try not to cheap out i useally get fresh step for mutiple cats but now they have this blue crystal stuff thats a little more exspensive but is suppose to work better.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• My cat only eats dry food, the goodlife recipe. I only give her about a 1/4 of a can of wet as a treat. Dry food is all around better for them, for their teeth, fur and health. If you constantly give a cat wet food they can become overweight.
    Dry food, be careful what you give them. Brands like meow mix are nothing but fillers. And an indoor cat needs no different nutrition than an outdoor.
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i feed both my cats purina indoor cat chow, they get wet food once a day, only because my older cat has FLUTD and needs extra fluids. so mostly they have dry food and with wet food its better to get like the beef or chicken, they dont need fish. plus i have noticed that the fish kind makes my cats poop stink REALLY bad.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 12:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I feed my cat Purinia. I found some coupons online to get the food for like 1$ :) but our cat is an outdoor cat who also has a few other people feeding him
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank you for the answers. I didn't realize some cats can be allergic to fish! Good to know. I think I like iams and I might give wet food once a day I want to make sure she is hydrated but I am trying to get her to loose weight. She is 13 lbs and when I looked online that is overweight so I am trying to get her to loose a few pounds!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009