What is the right age for a baby to travel farther than 30 min. away from home with the grandparents, without the parents?

AllieMaesMom

Asked by AllieMaesMom at 7:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how much you trust them.
    my mom takes her all over if she wants too.
    my DD is 5 months.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i agree with the above, its all in the trust factor. and your seperation anxiety!!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Its a personal choice. I trust my mother [she sees her everyday, and does exactly what i tell her] and would let her take her 30 mins away.

On the other hand, my MIL took her 40 mins away to her home on my birthday (she was 5months) and fed her like half a banana and she was backed up and fussy for like 3 days after. She isnt watching her anymore.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• It's not really a trust issue. I just always know that the grandparent will take the best of care of my baby....but some accident could happen...and I wouldn't be there with my baby. I was reading that the first 2 years is where a baby learns what home is. On one hand, my husbands parents want to take my baby to other peoples houses that I do not know. I'm defiantly not comfortable with that. They say I should TRUST that they are good people. But I cannot be satisfied with letting my baby go to a strangers home. My husbands parents hate me now. They just do not understand. And we have argued for 7 months now. Very nerve racking ordeal. I'm not giving in because I'm not comfortable with it. My mom on the other hand, is perfectly fine with keeping my baby at her house where my baby can be secure and settled in. It's different with all moms. But I'm asking because I'm going crazy and just need some opinions.
    AllieMaesMom

Answer by AllieMaesMom at 10:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• i agree that its not all about trust. how connected are you with your baby? are you usually home with baby all day? or do you work? it just depends on whether the baby will be ok and feel safe without you. but i think like 4 or 5 months its ok to start being apart a bit....thats just me, i think that before that they need mommy or daddy to feel secure
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:16 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes, I stay home with my baby. I babysit a few other kids too from home. I found out from babysitting, that I am practically raising someone else's baby. I have taught other babies how to eat and been there for setting up and crawling. A lot of stuff that the parents miss. So, I decided that I need to stay home with my baby because it needs to be me raising her. My baby is 8 months now, and I'm still uncomfortable with her going far without me. And she is getting to the age where she is afraid of strangers. She clings to me. So, it would be hard for me to imagine her out without me being afraid of someone or a situation.
    AllieMaesMom

Answer by AllieMaesMom at 11:49 AM on Aug. 19, 2009