How do i teach my kindergartener how to tie his shoes?

I didnt have to teach my daughter and i really have no idea how to teach my son its been so long since i had to learn I really cant remember how i learned and i am at a loss. Any ideas would be great!!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in

• Have him sit in your lap with his back to your chest and just keep tying his shoes and having him practice too. Have an older sibling or friend to teach him. I had my neighbors son teach mine and he learned in less than an hour. I was so happy that I paid the kid $5 for his work. I wouldn't worry about him not being able to tie his shoes, many boys can't tie shoes until first grade due to coordination issues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I wasnt going to worry about but at school's open house tonight they said they wanted all teh kindergartners to know how to tie their shoes or they couldnt move on to first grade. My daughter just kind of taught herself in kindergarten and i figured i would work with him when he started wanting to tie them himself i dont want to force the issue but now i have to am i am completely without on this!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my bby girl learned by see all the other kids doing it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Check with your child's teacher. A t the elementary school my daughter attended, shoe tying is part of the kindergarten curriculum. On "shoe tying day" they have a ceremony in with the entire school, and the class ties their shoes in unison. It is just about the cutest thing ever.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• rkoloms- i talked to the teacher tonight and they dont do shoe tying anymore. hence the reason i am looking for guidance here. if he doesnt learn to tie his shoes by end of the year he cant move on to first grade!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I really don't think it is legal for them to hold your child back because he or she can't tie their shoes. If that happens, I would be the first to sue the school. Call the school board and ask if that is allowed, I bet it is NOT.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• GET THEM A STAP SHOE
    Momof2boy

Answer by Momof2boy at 12:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Practice, Practice, Practice....Good Luck!
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Show him step by step and have him practice about 10-15 mins each day. He'll get it.

Our school said they'd teach the kids in K but they never did, but I wanted my son to learn, so we taught him. I found out later that NONE of the other kids could tie and instead of asking the teacher for help in tying their shoes, they'd go to my SON! I felt so bad for him when I heard this. DON'T send your kid to school in tie shoes until he knows how to do it himself and has demonstrated such for at least a week or so.

P.S. I think them holding a kid back because of it is bogus too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Find the spongebob video. Really , it works.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009