Thumb

My 14 almost 15 year old still sucks her thumb. She is going to high school and I just want to help her stop. Any Ideas?
Thanks!

groovymama1987

Asked by groovymama1987 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you talked to her about why she does it? Sometimes it's a way to deal with anxiety or nervousness...or does it just seem habitual?
    I would suggest some kind of incentive to encourage her to stop. Is there a certain privilege she'd like to have...such as maybe a little bit later curfew or something similar? It should be something she'd be excited about. Something that shows her you think she's grown up enough to handle. Usually, it takes 20 to 30 days to break a habit...you guys could make a deal that if she doesn't do it for that amount of time, she gets the privilege. If she starts again...it gets taken away.
    Just one idea.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 8:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Does she have any other emotional issues? She should probably be evaluated by an adolescent psychologiist.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Get her nails done. The taste of the nail products is nasty and the sharpness of the fake nails will scratch the heck out of her mouth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Let it go, I am sure she does not do it in front of her friends or at school. I speak from experience I sucked my thumb until I was at least 17 at night when I was tired and always with no one around. I turned out just fine, its just a security blanket and this will pass.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• tyfry - good idea! Maybe if she had pretty nails done, she won't want to ruin them. There are actually some adults that still suck their thumbs - I saw a grown woman on Bridezilla not too long ago sucking her thumb. My mom sucked her thumb until she was 7, then she saw someone 16 years old doing it and decided it looked so silly that she'd quit. I think she'll eventually find a reason to quit on her own.
    MinstrelMommy

Answer by MinstrelMommy at 1:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009