Are there any Islamic mom's here?

I have asked a couple of questions on here and seen a few deleted about Islam, I think due to low responce. So if your out there please reply.

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 8:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• greetings,

I have to agree with my Muslim Sisters, Muslim is the name of the follower, Islamic is the adjective of something related to Islam. ( not the people)

I have lived in the middle east for a good number of years. and the extremism has to do more with politics than with religion. not to mention the misinterpretation of the faith.

there are a lot of Muslim momies on this cafe. the group Muslim Moms has about 700 members, but many of us don't really check into the Questions section I guess ( I certainly rarely get the chance to peek in here...
    please feel free to visit our group if you have any more questions. you don't have to be a member to post a question.
    I will try to check in here more often. It's just with the anonymous option. many mommies tend to become very offensive, and rude. and that is why I don't particularly like to come on here.

Thank you for your interest
    proud2bmom3

Answer by proud2bmom3 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Islam is the religion . Muslims are the followers of islam. We are not islamic. however i would be happy to answer a question if you have one.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Aasiyah, it will depend on who you ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Actually Anon.

anyone who says they are islamic is incorrect. Muslims may have islamic behavior based on religious beliefs but they are not called islamics. They are called muslims. . Those who try to belittle islam and muslims or those who do not know the difference call muslims islamics. I do believe the op.. doesn't know the difference, there fore i offered the clarification so that she  and others may know and understand the difference..

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Aasiyah, your interpretation is not the only correct one. That is one thing many Islamic women have said to me is how it is one way or the highway. But I am done because obviously you are right and everyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

Thank you, and I stand corrected on the name. It didn't seem right when I typed it.

O.K. one question I had, in the Middle East you hear about Suni and Sheiite(I have no idea how that is spelled) muslems. What is the difference, in simple terms, and do those divisions exist here in the US?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sunni and Shi'ite are different sects.

After Muhammad, there was a disagreement in terms of succession, which caused the split, and the differences have gone on from there.

You can read more in depth here.

=)

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• O.K. Thank you. In the middle east there seems to be one of these factions that is much more violent. We don't see it here and I know the situation is complex, but which group is the more violent one.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Here i thought teamquinn was going to ask a beneficial question. Typical. perhaps this is why no one answers your questions.. besides non muslims.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There's more to the violence in Islamic extremism than whether said extremists are Sunni or Shi'ite.

Most any Muslim will tell you that those who justify violence and terrorism are not truly Muslims, regardless of which sect they are from or which sect the extremist claims to be.

There's actually a whole lot to Islamic extremism that I'm still just learning about - and just because extremism and terrorism is bad doesn't mean we shouldn't try to understand where they're coming from. There's actually a lot of things we did to the Muslims all over, but especially in Egypt and Iran, and so on, that helped cause the extremism we see today.

I'm reading Karen Armstrong's Battle for God, and it goes into fundamentalism in all three Abrahamic faiths, and its really opening my eyes.

In any case, though, the extremists only make up a very small percentage in terms of numbers of the whole, and aren't specifically tied to either sect.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009