Mommy guilt

Does anyone else lay in bed most nights feeling guilty over every little thing? During the day I am in such a rush trying to get a million things done and then after I put the kids to bed I sit down and all I feel is guilt over everything I did and didn't do with the kids. I should've just played with my daughter's dollhouse with her. I shouldn't have spent 20 minutes checking my email when the kids wanted me for something when I just could've done that after they were in bed. I shouldn't have snapped when my daughter spilled her juice. It's always something. I just feel so worn out. I want to be the best, most attentive mother I can be, but sometimes I feel sort of disinterested. I realize how awful that sounds.... I feel terrible about how I spend most of my days but I can't seem to get out of this rut. Any suggestions? I'm a SAHM, by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• You are doing a great job! Remember that....and all the worrying is normal....but, might I suggest thinking of all the good things, the fun things, the funny things that happened throughout the day. I guarantee that your kids don't notice HALF of what you think you're not doing....cut yourself some slack!!!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 8:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Oh, and I'm a SAHM as well, and it really helps to take some time out for me. I have my ceramics I do once a week, it's only for a few hours, but hey, when I get home, I'm happier to be there and all the stuff that made me irritated during the day, goes away....good luck!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 9:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Sounds like you need a mommy break. Is there anyone who could watch your child for an afternoon and you just go out and be you, not mommy, not wife, not homemaker, just you? It is very normal to feel overwhelmed when your kids are little and it does get physically easier as they grow up. I say this from experience, I'm a sahm to older kids, mine are 14 and 11. They are in school so I am able to do my "Kim" stuff during that time. When they are home I can put on my "mom" hat much easier. But right now you need a mommy break. If you can get one take it. You will have more to give to your kids if you take the time to refreash yourself.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009