Can you overfeed a breastfed baby?????

My DD has thrown up once each night for the past 3 days. She'll be 2 weeks tomorrow and I stopped supplementing formula altogether and am breastfeeding exclusively. The first night she threw up her ped said that it was because she was overfed. I'm confused because the lactation consultants at the hospital said that it is impossible to overfeed and to nurse on demand. How am I suppose to do that if DD is just going to throw up. It's freaking me out b/c I'm a first time mom. I've tried giving her a pacifier just to hold her until her next meal but she doesn't seem to like that. Any suggestions????

samantha86knox

Asked by samantha86knox at 9:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is projectile vomit or just spitup? Are you burping her ever ten minutes or so when you breastfeed?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yes when there small like that feed her for a few minutes then burp her then feed some more, i had that same problem and i scared me too.u just have to burp her between her feeding.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• The first two times it was projectile, last night spit up and then this evening she did it while nursing so I couldn't really tell whether it was vomit or spit up. I try to burp her each time I switch breast which is about 8 min but sometimes she doesn't burp or if she does its way after I have stopped trying to burp her.
    samantha86knox

Answer by samantha86knox at 9:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Oh my you sound like a pyloric stenosis ..my DD had it.... let me answer the ? NO you can not over feed a breastfed baby although at a 1 year old visit they tend to be chuncky more so then a formula fed they loose that in preschool years and the extra weight (piled on as brown fat--different then regular fat) actually leads to increased intelligence and lower life long body weights-- as for the spitting up thing try sitting up to nurse (so the football hold) and rather then lying her down walk with her on your shoulder for 30 minutes after each completed feeding also try sleeping herin her car seat next to you bed-- if that aint working to decreace the spit up you need a Pedi GI doctor---
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• NO you can't overfeed from the breast, BUT all her nursing may have raised supply and given you an oversupply or an overactive letdown..THAT can cause throwing up. Read here about spitting up and the BF baby
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    heres info on forceful letdown see if it sounds like you
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    Giving pacifiers when baby wants to nurse is NOT a good idea, neither is timing feeds as in its not been long enough...bad idea with a BF babies..BF newborns should nurse 17-20 hours a day sometimes...listen to the IBCLC, she is the breastfeeding specialist, yuor doctor is NOT...doctors have little to no BFing training. Speak to the LC again...she will help you out AND join a BFing group and ask this there.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• and do not decrease her feeds BREASTFED BABIES EAT ON DEMAND FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIKE AS OFTEN AS THEY LIKE -- if she does have an issue with her pyloris BREAST FED babies RARELY need surgery they grow out of it naturally
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• OH and the 8 minutes...is that when SHE stops on one side or is that when YOU unlatch her??

Make sure you leave her on the breast for as long as possible on one side....if she unlatches offer that breast again to make sure. THIS will make sure she gets the hindmilk(the fatty stuff)...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• All three of mine would projectile vomit If they had the tiniest burp stuck in there. They will also mistake being hungry due gassy, so try a dose of the infant gas drops before you feed at night.

I agree you should feed on demand, but be sure to burp lots. If the baby is stiffening up like a board and still wanting to eat, try to get some gas out of her before you feed her. That's the warning sign with mine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Btw, your pediatrician works for YOU. If you don't understand how she's explaining something, make her elaborate. I don't care If your insurance is PA you are paying for her jaguar so don't feel bad about taking her time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Tabi cat: I started unlatching her after 8 min b/c of the ped. (who happens to be a man ). He said that it wasn't necessary to keep her on one breast too long. My mom told me not to listen to him and to follow the LC. Should I just wait for her to unlatch herself? I also read the links that you shared, maybe I have overactive let-down. We have many of those symptoms such as coughing during nursing and the clicking sound. I'm going to try some new postions.

Lovinangels: Did your children stiffen up before or during nursing?

samantha86knox

Answer by samantha86knox at 9:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2009