14 weeks old, non stop screaming, milk out her nose, multipul spit up!!

My daughter is 14 wks. She has been in and out of the doctors office because Im certain that there must be something wrong with her. They diagnosed it as colic. After trying all the suggestions (don't play with your baby because it over stimulates her) I have decided it is not colic.
Then, about two weeks ago, she started projectile spitting up, and milk squirting out her nose about three times a day. I called in to the doctor frantic asking what to do. Without seeing me, they said, OH! its acid reflux. And called in a perscription. It worked well for about ten days. Now shes spitting up and having milk out her nose again. The doctor is on vacation or always too busy to see us. She has been screaming all day long, i've tried everything. But when I put her in her bath she was perfectly content. So we stayed there for about half hour. now shes sleepy... i just dont know what to do. or what to try next. Any suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 9:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Reflux is trying not only on the baby but the parents too... Continual screaming babies after a while have a tendancy to make you want to pull your hair out from the frustration!!!!

We are using Alimentum ready to feed it is the only formula that doesn't contain corn. Powdered alimentum does contain corn. COrn is hard to digest for some babies. We feed on demand but only 4 oz at a feed as not to over fill her stomach, it is mixed with 2-3 tablspoons of single grain rice cereal and fed with a Y cut nipple by playtex as the rice cereal thickens the formula and makes it less likely to reflux back out.

We are also using Mylanta cherry supreme (the one without aluminum) giving 3 ccs every 4 hours along with tagamet.

holding baby upright for 20-30 minutes after a feeding...

This has worked for us, I hope you find something to help!!
    SunnyBeach

Answer by SunnyBeach at 9:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• oh boy thats not good, have you tried switching formulas to like a hypoallergenic or soy? my son had that a few times but he was on milk based formula and we switched to soy a few days later and haven't had a problem. he started on formula at 5 weeks though.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• We switched to Similac sensitive when she was three weeks old. She couldnt handle the regular formulas.. Do you think it would benefit her to try something more sensitive? My cousins baby's both had to be fed Similac Alimentum, or something like that.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 9:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• do you breast or bottle feed?

either way after feeds for like 30 minutes DO NOT let her lay down walk with her on your shoulder in the up position or seat her in the sitting position of the infant car seat see if that helps the spit up

as long as shes giving you 4-6 good wet diapers and a poopy 3-4x a week I wouldnt fret it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• yeah i would try an amino acid or soy formula
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• Since the doc told us it was acid reflux, we've been very careful about her feedings. She is upright for 30min-1hr after eating, we burp her well, everything I can think of. But now its to the point where she's doing the projectile spit up while my husband is walking with her, and she choked yesterday on spit up and milk out her nose while we were in the car and she was in her carseat.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 9:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would take this opportunity that your Dr is out of town and see his on call Dr... a second opinion would be well worth it to me... I would try to feed her in very small amounts all day if need be, one ounce then wait 20 min then another... the milk out the nose would be my concern, she could easily breath it back into her lungs or something.... I feed mine almost sitting up right, that might help somewhat... I too would try soy formula.... good luck, stay strong and keep looking into this issue ...
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 9:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I would get a second opinion. It sounds like acid reflux to me but a different doctor may be more willing to try different meds of suggest a different formula.

definatly try mixing rice cereal with the formula and use the y-cut nipple from playtex, it may be labeled cereal or tri-cut nipple in the package. I also recommend using beech nut rice cereal instead of gerber. the gerber tends to clog easier than the beech nut cereal.
    I did that for my DD along with a little mylicon in every bottle and zantac 3 times a day. Similac and enfamil formulas bubble a lot when shaken and the mylicon helps eliminate that. Goodstart doesn't foam up at all when shaken and that may help some.
    Good luck.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 10:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• I don't think I like your doctor. Get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2009

• my DD2 does that (she just turned 3 months) her dr had us add a bit of cereal to her bottles and now she only does it if SO forgets the cereal. her DR also put her on a vitamin since she started cereal earlier than normal.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 19, 2009